UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 423726 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
#675 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 15, 2017, 11:26:05 am
We've just watched (six episodes over two nights) Netflix's excellent new adaptation of Margaret Atwood's Alias Grrace: an ambiguous slippery tale about truth, fiction, and power. Highly recommended.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#676 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 15, 2017, 02:03:38 pm

Final cut? Four frigging words and cut out of almost every shot.

Many a budding Hollywood starlet has found themselves on the cutting room floor. Often under Harvey Weinstein.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#677 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 07, 2017, 10:11:51 pm
Melvyn Bragg and co gushing on about Moby Dick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gzjm5

not sure whether I liked it for a bit of extra thought on the subject or if it just affirmed my own experience of the book with nice words, but I enjoyed the episode

unusually, I feel like reading the book again

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#678 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 08, 2017, 08:11:16 am
Is anyone watching the epic Ken Burns/Lynn Novick documentary series The Vietnam War? I believe its available somewhere on BBC.

Only just cottoned on to this one - shout out that it's a) being repeated on BBC4 and therefore b) is on iPlayer (albeit only up to episode 6).

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#679 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 10, 2017, 07:45:28 am
I’m 4 episodes in and can heartily recommend ‘Godless’ on Netflix. On first glance it’s a gritty Deadwood style western, but it’s lifted into something else with a wonderful dream-like atmosphere.

Great cinematography and memorable performances from Jack O’Connell and a one-armed Jeff Daniels. I’m finding it a joy to watch so far.

andy popp

• forum hero
#680 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 10, 2017, 01:42:35 pm
We finished "Godless" a few nights ago. I liked it, but didn't love it. In the end, it clung too tightly to all the classic Western tropes. I could predict every aspect of how it would conclude several episodes out. Early on I thought it was going to subvert the genre a bit more than it does.

But Jeff Daniels is brilliant. And it is beautiful. I've wanted to go to New Mexico for a long time and Godless has only confirmed that (assuming it was actually shot there).

Wood FT

• forum hero
#681 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 10, 2017, 07:15:58 pm
“Andy and Jim: The Great Beyond” on Netflix, a very interesting and very strange documentary on Jim Carrey during the making of ‘Man on The Moon’ - the biopic of Andy Kauffman*

Both He and Jim work on a level I don’t think I’ll ever fully understand. I’ve watched it twice in two days

*worth watching Man on The Moon first or you’ll be scratching your head at some bits, well, you’ll be scratching your head anyway

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#682 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2017, 10:36:42 am
I'm sure many people have seen it ages ago, but I can't believe I only just discovered line of duty is. Currently all available on iPlayer. I'm only a couple of episodes into series one, and hooked at the moment.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#683 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
December 30, 2017, 10:54:10 am
On iPlayer....

Blitz: The Bombs that Changed Britain.  Four really great documentaries each focusing on a single bomb that ended up having big ramifications for Britain after the war. NHS etc.  Good Tele.

MR James night on BBC4 Christmas eve was good with a few repeats of adaptations and Christopher Lee reading.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#684 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 07, 2018, 09:29:37 am
Probably slow to the party on this one, but Dirk Gently on Netflix is excellent. It continues where Doug Adams left off. Great cast. Dangerous kittens too. Season two just about to start.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#685 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 08, 2018, 11:02:09 pm
Just blown away by 'Icarus' doc on Netflix. Starts off looking into the effectiveness of doping in cycling and how easy it is to pass the anti-doping tests, but then develops into something a whole lot bigger... incredible documentary making. Had to rewind several bits because the were so jaw dropping. Don't read up too much on it, just watch it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#686 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 08, 2018, 11:09:19 pm
MR James night on BBC4 Christmas eve was good with a few repeats of adaptations and Christopher Lee reading.

I hope they showed the old version of "Whistle and I'll Come to You" with Michael Hordern: just brilliant.

Self promotion time: I consulted in a minor way on a current BBC documentary, following a single Liverpool house through time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/01/a-house-through-time

The first episode was broadcast a few days ago. I haven't been able to watch but I've heard some good reports.

alx

• regular
  • Monstrosity
#687 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 08, 2018, 11:57:10 pm
Spotlight was a sobering if difficult watch but totally worthwhile.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#688 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 09:47:31 am
Killjoys, Netflix.

Old school Sci-fi, of the Firefly ilk. More Blade Runner than Star Trek.
Gets better by season 2.

Actually, if any of you have read the “Spinward fringe” series byRandolf Lalonde (weird, auto correct changed that to “La Orange”). I think it’s been a heavy influence on the writers of this programme.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:55:22 am by Oldmanmatt »

Plattsy

• forum hero
#689 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 10:02:51 am
A couple of recent binge watches on Netflix I thought worth while.
The Sinner - An different take on a who-done-it. Biel and Pullman are very good in it.
Dark - Back to the future/Looper/Stranger Things combo German thing (dubbed into English on Netflix - boo). Hard to follow at times (boom boom) and I think I'll have to watch it again to pick up on bits I've missed/not understood first time round..

Paul B

• forum hero
#690 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 05:19:51 pm
I really enjoyed Peaky Blinders seasons 1-4 (expiring on iplayer any minute now?), if only for Tom Hardy's use of the c-bomb in the final episode.

I watched "The Post" on Saturday night. It's very slow to start but builds enough to maintain interest.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#691 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 07:22:59 pm
Spiral S6 - The French detective
/legal drama is great.  Not sure if the previous seasons are available to watch but it's a really good series.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#692 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 07:36:17 pm
McMafia on BBC is a good alow burner.

Looking forward to the new series of This Country, I thought those imitation fly on the wall documentaries had been done to death but the first series (still on iPlayer) did make me laugh.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#693 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 08:53:21 pm
McMafia on BBC is a good alow burner.

Too slow for me. I gave up.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#694 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 22, 2018, 09:23:36 pm
The end of the f***ing world on Netflix is different and pretty good

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#695 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
January 23, 2018, 10:07:24 am

Self promotion time: I consulted in a minor way on a current BBC documentary, following a single Liverpool house through time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/01/a-house-through-time

The first episode was broadcast a few days ago. I haven't been able to watch but I've heard some good reports.

I enjoyed it

I used to live in a similar house on Canning St (next, parallel street), so was already interested in the idea

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#696 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2018, 12:45:42 pm
Good in our time this week about cephlapods. Available on iPlayer.

Also, I'm sure everyone else saw it years ago but breaking bad on Netflix is amazing.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#697 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 02, 2018, 08:23:10 pm
Good in our time
Also, I'm sure everyone else saw it years ago but breaking bad on Netflix is amazing.

I was late to the Breaking Bad party (not quite as late as you  ;)  )

I’ve watched the entire thing 4 times. Amazing!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#698 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 03, 2018, 12:19:56 pm
Good in our time this week about cephlapods.

Thank God for Melvyn Bragg and Radio 4, without which sentences like this could not exist.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#699 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
February 03, 2018, 08:50:48 pm
W has discovered Melvyn and In Our Time in the last couple of weeks through her studies and is now completely in love with him and the programme. 

She was studying 18th C industrial history and stumbled across the archive - it’s searchable by subject and date.  A valuable resource...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal