UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 425161 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#575 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 02, 2016, 01:37:27 pm
Does Craig Charles still present it? If not it can't be the same!

+1 to that, and Philippa Forrester making the love-struck contestants awkward!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#576 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 02, 2016, 01:40:04 pm
The new Robot Wars is really good. My memories of watching it as a kid are of it being a glorified shoving match, with a few really good robots and lots of really crap ones - the armour being much more developed than the weaponry such that the only way to reliably win was to shove the other thing in the pit or flip it out of the arena.

It seems that this has now changed and in the past decade the batteries and motors have become vastly more powerful. Remember that Hypno-Disc thing from the original series? That flywheel weighed about 18Kg and spun at 500rpm. In the new series there's a thing with a spinning bar weapon - the bar weighs 25Kg and spins at 2500rpm. When it gets up to full speed it fills the arena with a sound known as the "Death Hum". When it drives into other robots it literally rips them to shreds and both 110Kg robots ricochet violently off each other like they weigh nothing. Huge chunks of shrapnel flying everywhere. When I was watching it I found myself wondering whether the producers of the show were shitting themselves, wondering whether two layers of bullet proof material was enough to protect the audience.

It's bloody brilliant.

Does Craig Charles still present it? If not it can't be the same!

Sadly not. Its that big bald Irish egg off the pop-science and comedy panel shows. Commentary is the same guy.
They've still got a fit female presenter co-presenting it, so normal service should be maintained, with the gawkier roboteers entering stumbling stammering fits whenever she speaks to them.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#577 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 02, 2016, 01:42:04 pm
The new Robot Wars is as good as the original as far as I can remember and I am less into that sort of stuff now.

Watched the first episode with my dad and brother as I was fortuitously back home.

Just like old times.

Mega!  ;D

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#578 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 02, 2016, 01:57:59 pm
They've still got a fit female presenter co-presenting it, so normal service should be maintained, with the gawkier roboteers entering stumbling stammering fits whenever she speaks to them.

I always thought the killer with Ms Forrester was her background as a kids' tv presenter.  So, a lot of the contestants had grown up with her as a vaguely mumsy  / sisterly figure.  Made it all the more horribly awkward when they met her as a sweaty, hormonal teenager - like a sudden realization of how attractive a best-mate's mum is!  Or, maybe I'm reading a bit much into a programme about robots hitting each other.  Next week, I'll analyse the psycho-sexual dynamics of Bullseye (two in a bed... phnarrrr!!!).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#579 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 02, 2016, 03:38:58 pm
You've given us quite an insight into your own psychology there, Moose  ;)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#580 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 02, 2016, 05:49:19 pm
it's always the quiet ones..........

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#581 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 08, 2016, 08:14:44 pm
Thursday 22nd of September.....

RED DWARF RETURNS!!!!

andy popp

• forum hero
#582 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 09, 2016, 12:36:05 am
I don't normally watch TV but every night this week we've watched an episode of the new Netflix series "The Get Down," a drama about the birth of hip hop in the Bronx in the late 70s (directed by Baz Luhrmann) - I think a lot of people on here might enjoy it.

rich d

• forum hero
#583 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 09, 2016, 10:45:27 am
Watched Fleabag on bbc iplayer. Funny, rude and funny. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

JamieG

• forum hero
#584 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2016, 08:39:10 am
Watched Fleabag on bbc iplayer. Funny, rude and funny. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

Agreed. Absolutely brilliant. Best thing I've seen on the iplayer in ages. Very dark comedy. Olivia Coleman is superb as the step mum.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#585 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2016, 08:53:01 am
The Night Of and Stranger Things. Both well worth a watch.

tomtom

• forum hero
#586 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2016, 09:00:42 am
For car / motor sport folks 'Madness on wheels' - the tale of Group B rallyings rise and demise in the 80's... Some crazy stuff.. 

Madness on Wheels: Rallying's Craziest Years: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01fcncc via @bbciplayer

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#587 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2016, 09:08:21 am
That was the one edited by Rich Heap wasn't it?

Edit: BBC credits him as Director.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#588 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2016, 10:14:19 am
Watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I wasn't a subscriber but signed up for a months trial as loads of people were raving about ST. Definitely worth it. Great stuff so far (on 6 of 8 i think). Easy enough to cancel afterwards.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#589 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 12, 2016, 10:25:26 am
Narcos is worth watching too whilst you've got your free subscription, Second season came out recently.

Although there are some insulting inaccuracies in the second series according to Escobars son.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#590 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 19, 2016, 11:10:45 pm
Watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I wasn't a subscriber but signed up for a months trial as loads of people were raving about ST. Definitely worth it. Great stuff so far (on 6 of 8 i think). Easy enough to cancel afterwards.

I'm currently on episode 6 as well, Stranger Things is without doubt one of the best series I've watched in a long time.

I can't recommend it enough!

mark20

• junky
#591 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 17, 2016, 11:01:04 am
Anyone been watching Westworld on Sky? Very cool, it's like a mashup of Black Mirror, Humans and I Robot.
About a Western themed world full of very human-like robots that rich people can pay to go into, to live out their wildest dreams.  Looks like one of the robots is becoming self aware, a la Skynet, and shits gonna hit the fan.

Which reminds me, new Black Mirror on Netflix soon

dave

#592 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 17, 2016, 11:07:45 am
Still Game is back on bbc/iplaya

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgl8

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#593 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 17, 2016, 11:49:20 am
Adam Curtis' Hypernormalisation was released to iPlayer last night. His Bitter Lake was one of the best things I watched last year.

deacon

• addict
#594 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 17, 2016, 12:03:02 pm
Started watching hypernormalization last night. Really good but a bit heavy going for a Sunday evening watch. I'll have to try again this evening as I only lasted about 15 minutes.

andy popp

• forum hero
#595 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 17, 2016, 12:41:30 pm
Watched the excellent Netflix documentary "What Happened, Miss Simone" about the life of Nina Simone last night - pretty revelatory. I knew some of the music of course but nothing about her life. In particular I had no idea about the depth of her involvement in the civil rights movement. Lots of great concert footage too! Recommended for anyone into music and/or recent US history.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#596 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 19, 2016, 10:59:38 am
This will be high on my list to view when it comes out, love the first Planet Earth one of the few things I've forked out for on Blu-Ray as its absolutely stunning...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#597 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 24, 2016, 02:25:32 pm
The Green Hollow on BBC 4.  A specially commissioned poem/play to commemorate the Aberfan disaster fifty years ago.  Watched it on TV last night.  It's amazing and very sad.  Powerful, moving stuff.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#598 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 24, 2016, 02:29:41 pm
Which reminds me, new Black Mirror on Netflix soon

The first four have been pretty good.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#599 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 25, 2016, 12:54:03 pm
+1 for Black Mirror.

Watched the first three and enjoyed them all. Episode three is thoroughly unremarkable by Black Mirror standards in terms of the concept, but the two lead actors, particularly Jerome Flynn are brilliant. The only episode that made me laugh out loud a few times.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal