UKBouldering.com

Climbing & Philosophy : Because its there (Read 15253 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Climbing & Philosophy : Because its there
August 24, 2009, 11:21:31 am
Friend who's into Philosophy told me about this call for Abstracts (unfortunately a month or so after the deadline).

Cheesy choice of title, but there,

For some bizzare reason I can't embed links to the site, even if they're shortened using TinyURL, can't even embed a lmgtfy.com link so search for "Climbing & Philosophy: Because It's There" on Google (no need for the double quotes) and the top hit should be the site for this, not much there beyond the Call for Abstracts though, which reads...

Call for Abstracts
Climbing & Philosophy: Because It’s There
Stephen E. Schmid, Editor

Abstracts for a prospective title in the Wiley‐Blackwell series Philosophy for Everyone, Climbing & Philosophy, are
solicited. Climbing & Philosophy will unite the insights of philosophers, interdisciplinary academics (psychologists, sociologists, etc.), and climbing insiders. The abstracts and resulting selected papers should be written for an educated but non‐specialized audience.

The scope of this volume includes climbing activities on mountains and rocks. Thus, discussions may include aspects of these activities, including but not limited to: climbing mountains/mountaineering (e.g., Everest, Kilimanjaro, Colorado Fourteeners), rock climbing (e.g., aid, free, and free solo climbing), bouldering, and gym climbing.

Possible topic areas and issues include, but are not limited to:

Metaphysical/Spiritual: Climbing and the meaning of life; Zen and climbing; Finding religion in the mountains‐‐ Mountains and the sacred; Climbing and the good life

Sport: Purity of the sport of climbing; Dangerous sports and self‐affirmation; Getting down alive is the only finish line; Speed climbing and the loss of mindfulness; Do climbing competitions pervert the purity of climbing?; Are first ascents true adventure?; Is gym climbing an authentic climbing experience? (In)compatibility of climbing and performance enhancing drugs

Ethics: Trust in one’s climbing partner—to cut or not cut the rope; Responsibilities of climbing guides—climber safety or successful summit?; Ethical issues of high‐risk sports; Is using supplemental oxygen cheating?; Climbing as a means of developing the Cardinal Virtues (prudence, justice, restraint/temperance, and courage)

Death & Dying: Living with death; Grief and affirmation in climbing; Motivating oneself after witnessing a climbing fatality; Camus, climbing, and The Myth of Sisyphus

Aesthetic: Rock climbing and its relationship to the aesthetics of dance; The beauty of a fine line/crack/route; Rock climbing as an aesthetic experience

Psychological: Climbing and the concepts of risk, self‐hood, and self‐knowledge; Climbing and the risk aversion paradox; Climbing and living in the moment; Climbing as the ultimate FLOW experience; Climbing and the expression of Self‐reliance; Hardship and character development of the big wall climber; Awareness of the limits of self in nature; Phenomenology and climbing; The intrinsic value of climbing Gender: Gender equality in climbing; Women climb smarter; Lynn Hill–setting the standard for free climbing El Capitan’s The Nose; Title IX and climbing

Environmental: Is climbing green?; Ethics of altering the environment when climbing (e.g., bolting, climber’s trails, pollution on Everest); Climbing and the human desire to dominate nature; Climbing and a sense of place

Cultural: Climbing and Aristotlean friendship; Base camp culture (e.g., Yosemite’s Camp Four, Everest Base Camp); Philosophical discussions of individual climbers (e.g., George Mallory, Lynn Hill, Tom Frost, Reinhold Messner, Yvon Chiounard, Edmund Hillary); Sherpa mountain culture

Guidelines for Abstracts and Contributions:
• Abstract of paper (approximately 200‐300 words) due by: July 1, 2009
• Accepted authors will receive notification by: August 1, 2009
• The submission deadline for accepted papers: December 31, 2009
• Final papers must be between 4000‐5000 words and be aimed at a general, educated audience.
Abstracts should be submitted electronically to Stephen E. Schmid . Other proposals for series titles also are welcome; please direct those to Fritz Allhoff

Looks like the resulting papers will be published some time next year (being that the deadline for submitted papers is 31st December 2009).  Will try and remember to keep an eye out for them.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I crush therefore I am.

Would have been interested in this. Shame it's past but look forward to seeing the papers.

adam_NE5

• regular
I wish I had seen this earlier!
I study Philosophy at Newcastle and actually wrote one of my papers this year on cutting the rope and the ethical dillema's etc involved!!!
Will have to keep a look out for this!

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
There's wierd I actually did a philosohpy degree because I wanted to understand why I needed to climb. Neitzsche was a great help. As was Wittgenstein (but let's face it he always is).

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
There's wierd I actually did a philosohpy degree because I wanted to understand why I needed to climb. Neitzsche was a great help. As was Wittgenstein (but let's face it he always is).

And did you find out?

Monolith

• forum hero
I spent so long reading to try to find out that I became too heavy for crimps and hence my opinions invalid as I could no longer cross reference my musings.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser

And did you find out?
Yeah, because I'm fucked up; but in a good way.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
I'd say there is scope for an examination of solipsism and it's contribution to the reality of grades.

a dense loner

• forum hero
what a crock of shit

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I bet the Nazi bird with spunk covered burnt chairs is there.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Crap from people who are shit at climbing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Never paused when in a necky situation on a run out above shit gear and wondered "What the fuck am I doing?"

adam_NE5

• regular
That seems a bit harsh! I fail to see the link between philosophy and being shit at climbing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
That seems a bit harsh! I fail to see the link between philosophy and being shit at climbing.

That was a decidedly tempered response from hOUD  :P

andy popp

• forum hero
what a crock of shit

I agree; thinking about stuff is just completely turd.

dave

thinking isn't cool. stuff 'n shit is cool.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I fail to see the link between philosophy and being shit at climbing.

Just look at me and Mr Picalli.

Thinking and reading makes you shit at climbing.

Posh birds love it though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
thinking isn't cool. stuff 'n shit is cool.

Word. And burning stuff is cool too.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I thought it was just bitches & money.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

That seems a bit harsh!

It was I retract it.  I'd stabbed myself in the tongue w/ a fork earlier and was feeling grumpy.

Blah, I get bored by self-perpetuating academic gash.  I went climbing to avoid Biochemistry lectures not to feel at one w/ the world or reaffirm whatever the toss.

Never paused when in a necky situation on a run out above shit gear and wondered "What the fuck am I doing?"

Aye, from start to finish but I was always too stoned to reach any solid conclusions.

Monolith

• forum hero
Hope my comment wasn't taken seriously.

Dense there's only room for one sage in the sport and that place is occupied by yourself.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Aye, from start to finish but I was always too stoned to reach any solid conclusions.

:lol: Perhaps you did reach a conclusion, you just couldn't....ooh sweeties, yes please I'm famished.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Quite.

More:  Where am I? than Why am I here?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Quite.

More:  Where am I? than Why am I here?

That's deep, you should give this philosophy thing a go  :P

andy_e

• forum hero
I have a random collection of vaguely-linked, poorly understood philosophies linking me with the outside world, which I have yet to link with anything in real life, but then I believe life's for learning lessons so I'll never link them. Unless I'm the link?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal