UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 359440 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Headingly rich? I'm taking the sprog to the New Zealand test on the Saturday (30th).

rich d

• forum hero
 Shame, Sunday at Headingley for NZ or else could have met for a pint, Trent Bridge on the Friday for the Aussies.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Beat me to posting that Jasper, there does seem to be a distinct correlation between the centre for excellence and buggering up a promising fast bowler.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
It is an excellent article and I think a similar thing has happened down here in Oz in the past. Witness Mitchell Johnson's transformation to the most feared bowler around after being coached in to mediocrity for a decade. Rumour is that DKLillee told him to stop pissing about and just bowl fast.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Here we go. Lyth gets an overdue start and a debut also for Wood. New Zealand win the toss and will bowl (of course). Come on England......

:unsure:

rich d

• forum hero
Here we go. Lyth gets an overdue start and a debut also for Wood. New Zealand win the toss and will bowl (of course). Come on England......

:unsure:
I'd have batted on that pitch, especially with today and tomorrow looking like the driest sunniest days with least cloud cover. Need a decent score to help settle all the crap that's going on at England. Cookey and Lythe get a great defiant opening stand - come on England

rich d

• forum hero
Shite, typed too soon.

andy_e

• forum hero
Good one rich, nice mockers!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Lyth unlucky. Ballance sitting too deep in his crease. No idea what Cook was doing with that short ball. Up shit creek again!  :slap:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
113/4 at lunch. Could have been much much worse but for some great stuff from (SCCC's) Root and Stokes and that umpire's call on the LBW decision. Really need this partnership to continue....... *hiding under desk smilie*

around

Listening to Andrew Strauss on TMS, he sounds like a cricketing David Brent. It's all about 'moving forwards', 'bigger picture', etc etc. As much as I want to like the ECB, they make it hard sometimes.

EDIT: actually, he got very annoyed and started accusing the interviewer about being unnecessarily negative towards the end. I'm starting to warm to him.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Shame, Sunday at Headingley for NZ or else could have met for a pint, Trent Bridge on the Friday for the Aussies.

Just realised it's actually the Sunday we're going. Got confused as it starts on the Friday not Thursday!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Superb test match so far. Yesterday was pretty special, the best bit being this:

:bow: :lol:

Hope we can get about 50 more quickly today and see how they go trying to chase it down.....  :popcorn:

DaveC

• junky
Great fight back. Good to see Cook recovering his batting mojo. The kiwis are pretty good at chasing totals so they need to put it out if reach, particularly if McCullum gets his eye in. Of course the team confidence should rise with the captain's form so they might roll them in 40 overs for under 150 or something!

rich d

• forum hero
what an over from Stokes, McCullum gone first ball, proper stuff, crowd is going mad....Come on England!!

andy_e

• forum hero
Just tuned in in time for the ninth wicket... Come on tenth!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Superb catch by Moeen. What a match!

rich d

• forum hero
Brilliant test match, swinging one way then another. Broad looks to be back to the same class of bowler as before his injury, Jimmy is always good, Cook finding the runs again and Root averaging nearly a ton in his last tests - then suddenly Stokes arrives with a Botham/Flintoff style performance that turns the match with first the bat and then the ball.
But...
NewZealand may be a decent side, but they were massively unprepared for a test match after their 20/20 and one day commitments, the Ausies are a step above as a side and will be ready for the ashes
But.. that doesn't take away from one of the best test matches I've seen.
PS jasper be on for a pint if you've decided which day you're there next week.

andy_e

• forum hero
I'd never have expected that at noon on Thursday!

DaveC

• junky
Must be said, England are a very different proposition at home. I for one do not think Australia will be anything like the force they were down here 18 months ago away from their fast pitches and huge home arenas. If Cook, Stokes, Root, Anderson and Broad all carry form into the Ashes series then an upset is on the cards. The NZ series may prove just the warm up your guys need.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Jimmy enters the 400 club and then follows that up with another to get to 401. Good toss to win to say the least.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
And Cook becomes Englands record run scorer.

Shaping up to be another fascinating game and the forecast for tomorrow (which looked dire) now looks OK.

:bounce:

rich d

• forum hero
Really enjoyed yesterday, but fuck me it was cold. Was the coldest day's cricket I've ever experienced, that sounds like the softest claim ever - but it was baltic. New Zealand batted really well, fast but not reckless pace, Broad finally put bat on ball. However I can't see England chasing this amount of runs down, especially if boult and southey have 2 new balls during the England innings.

DaveC

• junky
Just to cheer you all up before the Ashes, Australia just caned the Windies inside three days.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal