UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1344288 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Better to live life on the roller coaster with ups and downs, twists and turns than spend life going round in circles on the tea cups.

Good luck, went through it last week. We survived, just, but I reserved the right to remain sullen and grumpy anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
Both clubs suffer from ownership issues.... god knows what'll happen when we go down. I can already hear the words Warnock... :D

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

I can already hear the words Warnock... :D

And and we've got Rednapp for another year. Surely there's got to be a job for Ron Atkinson somewhere.. .

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
If Hull do go down then the North East of the country has taken a hammering!

Watching Sunderland this year has been awful, but the ultimate outcome has been flirted with for so many years it was inevitable. I genuinely fear for us if Moyes stays at the helm. He looks clueless in all aspects, and defeated in general. I look at what's happened to Blackburn etc, and could easily see us drifting off into obscurity if we don't make wholesale changes from the top down.

:thumbsdown:

tomtom

• forum hero
Sunderland do have a fairly decent owner non? Though it has seemed that something's wrong with the club for a few years...

Yes - unless the Wendies get up no Yorkshire clubs in the PL...

Coventry is a really sad example of takeover and asset stripping...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Wendies=Wednesday? Playing Huddersfield of course so a Yorkshire team in the final whatever...

tomtom

• forum hero
Wendies=Wednesday? Playing Huddersfield of course so a Yorkshire team in the final whatever...

Yes - sorry jugglinh phone and child etc..

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Pretty impressive, I can only manage three balls.

tomtom

• forum hero
Pretty impressive, I can only manage three balls.

City (Hull) seem to have problems with just the one...

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
So yeah a trip to Wembley to plan

Taking my 8yo nephew too. It's just about having a good day out

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
In 2001 David Moyes' Preston unexpectedly made it to the play-off final (having beaten a much fancied Birmingham team on penalties in the semi despite being behind with 5 minutes of injury time played (yes, I am still bitter)) to meet Bolton.
Apparently Big Sam's team talk consisted of "this lot have come for a day out, go and do the business".
So that sort of attitude will get you a 3-0 humping and your manager will soon be on his way to the premier league while you head in the opposite direction. Don't be happy just to be there, go to win.

tomtom

• forum hero
My top Wemberley tip is to book a table at a curry restaurant just down the road from the station for before the game. Sit back in pleasant air conditioned comfort - having some nice food and a beer before joining the crowds. ALL of the 'official' fan pubs will be £5 a plastic pint of crap beer and full of nutters off their faces. Of course if you prefer that... :)

I've done that on the two occasions I've been down there - and it was great. For the FA cup final, ended up going over to sit at some Arsenal fans table sharing a beer and an Onion bhaji and chatting about what was expected. Very civilised.

Dolly

• forum hero
Last year I bought a bag of cans from a shop outside the tube station and drank them outside a pub (where most people were anyway) Sang myself hoarse, laughed my head off then walked to the match #cheapdate

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Mourinho is going to be so pissed off when he finds out how many games you have to play in the Champions League.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
I've been meaning to post this up for a while.
Is Owen Hargreaves the shitest football commentator going.
It's come to a point were I watch most matches with the sound off.
He's about as insightful as a plank of wood.
Michael Owen in comparison is like Barry Davies or John Motson.
Even Robbie Savage is just about bearable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:27:52 pm by jfdm »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
I've been meaning to post this up for a while.
Is Owen Hargreaves the shitest football commentator going.
Even Robbie Savage is just about bearable.

I'm not sure Robbie Savage is bearable in any mode.  He was a shit player and is a terrible pundit

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
 :agree:

Hargreaves is painful, I can't put my finger on it but he just sounds very fake and like he is constantly trying to do an accent of some kind but failing. Half Irish, half something else.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Thought he was English but raised in Germany?

Appreciate Sav was easy to dislike but if he played for your club and you watched him regularly you'd appreciate what he brought the team and he was definitely not shit, he was always missed when suspended, etc.  Could be a liablility around the club but always gave 100% on the pitch.

tomtom

• forum hero
Savage is one of those players you'd hate but would love if he was at your club. Dennis Wise in the same category...

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
:agree:

Hargreaves is painful, I can't put my finger on it but he just sounds very fake and like he is constantly trying to do an accent of some kind but failing. Half Irish, half something else.

His insights consist of football cliches, once he gets an idea in his head (normally from his fellow commentator) he then bangs on about it for the next five minutes.
Having played for Bayen, ManU and England he offers few insights, he just drones on and on.
BT were offering a new VR service for the Champions League Final, I would rather one of the channels offered no commentary, and just crowd noise/atmosphere.
Owen H needs to take some tips from the legend that was Dave Higson, football has lost its way over the last 20 years.

tomtom

• forum hero
Re punditry - I find the by sport final score thing quite good on Saturdays (on the BT free preview channel on freeview). Rednap is ducking dull, Neville's alright. Savage and Sutton bickering away is quite good value...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Savage always seems drunk to me.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Re punditry - I find the by sport final score thing quite good on Saturdays (on the BT free preview channel on freeview). Rednap is ducking dull, Neville's alright. Savage and Sutton bickering away is quite good value...

The best football media for me was the BT Sport European Goals show - mainly because it was hosted by informed and erudite journalists (Rafa Honigstein, Philippe Auclair, Amy Lawrenson etc), rather than former players.  It was like a TV version of the Guardian Football Podcast.  Sadly, BT have announced that they are discontinuing it.  I recall a recent leak, from a Sky executive, admitting that shit pundits are deliberately employed (Savage, Owen, Merson) to drum up controversy: the more ignorant they are, the more outrage and "click bait" they harvest.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
So yeah a trip to Wembley to plan

Taking my 8yo nephew too. It's just about having a good day out

Going to need an update on this Grubes.  ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
He should have sobered up by June.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal