UKBouldering.com

Minus Ten - mini guide (Read 44106 times)

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#100 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 24, 2009, 11:21:40 am
Thanks for the feedback and amends, superb effort!

I'm out there tonight so will do a bit of sense checking myself.

blockhead

• player
#101 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 24, 2009, 12:43:23 pm
Dave is right... on Sean's problem the thumb around the edge of the sidepull when using crimp 24 is an essential bit of info, hadn't spotted this was missing. This is how it has always been done i think... would be hard without... but presume it has been done that way. Think also you are supposed to get your feet out of the break onto tiny edges before the move from the crimp throwing over to slopey edge 28. Suggest something like...

"Sean's Problem 7b+...  Start LH 34, RH 36 feet in low break. RH dish 38 and LH crimp 24 (with thumb around edge). Feet onto tiny edges and smears. RH 28, LH incut 32 finish RH 33."

The sloper on Zippy's problem is crucial too. I spent ages doing this wrong, once because of the foothold and again because i was using the wrong part of the sloper.. the scooped finger sloper at the back is out, the front of the sloper is in. How about "47 - front of slopey dish".

As already mentioned by someone in a previous post... think it would be worth adding a few numbers to the picture to cover the holds that are used in white ladder and and the harris problem.

Have you spotted you've got 2 letter "C's" on the georges wall picture.. and an extra 8a+ in brackets in the pinch 2 description? There's also a few jugg's, slopy's and a bloc in the hold descriptions below the picture.

Kingy

• forum hero
#102 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 24, 2009, 04:08:20 pm
Oh yes, doing the move off the hold with the thumb wrapped around without your feet built up on the tiny edges firs is a definite faux pas (only possible if you're tall) - it does need mentioning in the text.

Something like 'no holding the good bit at the back' should do the trick for the Zippy's problem sloper, this has been in many of the previous guides.

dave

#103 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 24, 2009, 04:23:55 pm
couple more points/questions.

On zippy's etc, the thing about starting with "outside edge of LF on hold XX" - is this actually a rule or just an observation about how people normally do it? if its not actually a rule (which i suspect it actually isn't) then it shouldn't be mentioned in the text.

also, on the start of zippy's its fairly common to see people starting with their right toe on a little vertical foothold over right in addition to the specified left foothold - if this is "in" then it needs to be mentioned, if not, likewise.

blockhead

• player
#104 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 24, 2009, 09:24:55 pm
Not exactly sure about the rules for the start of zippy's. Suspect that outside left is more beta than a rule.

Regarding the right foot at the start.. if you mean the vertical edge way right in the little crack seam (under 43 in the pic) this is surely not allowed. I have always used a fairly shoddy well polished smeary ripple (probably about mid way between 41 and 43 in the pic). Always figured this was in and seem to think ben used this on pinch 2 in one summer... though can't be sure. Does anyone know any better?

Something like 'no holding the good bit at the back' should do the trick for the Zippy's problem sloper, this has been in many of the previous guides.

I know this has been in the previous guides but always felt it was open to interpretation. When I started trying zippy's i convinced myself the good bit at the back had something to the irregular boss edge thing right at the back. I thought the finger sloper runnel thing was to poor to be considered good! Think something like ..only use the very front bit of the sloper.. might be more specific.

tomboulderer

• Tom B
#105 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 29, 2009, 11:23:51 am
Minus ten mini-guide sounds awesome, hope Tom's roof is going to be included too, i recently did Fig 8 in reverse using the same sequence which goes at about 7c and would be a great little problem to go in the mini guide!

tomboulderer

• Tom B
#106 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
June 29, 2009, 11:47:11 am
Should have read the previous posts before writing my last one, obviously toms roof is going to be included, Don't forget let's go round again (fig 8 in reverse) By me! (as far as anyone can tell!) Goes at 7c. Great moves in reverse. Also have pics please contact:

Tomdburrows@hotmail.com

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#107 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
July 01, 2009, 09:04:33 pm
Been busy with other things this last week or so, but its very nearly there.

I'll try and get the last section in tomorrow and post up for final proofs...

tomboulderer

• Tom B
#108 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
July 16, 2009, 04:35:56 pm
hey again, recently didi another two variations in tom's cave which goe at 7b+ 8a,
reverse pete's powerpull 7b+, and pete's powerpull stright into the reverse 8a.
have a video too which i will post soon, would be great to see these probs in the guide!

dave

#109 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
July 17, 2009, 09:13:23 am
nasty traverse - on this it uses hold 38 described as "poor crimp". What is actually there is the poor slopey dish used on sean's problem, and just right of it is a little crimp in the seam. Now I always assumed that nast'y traverse just climbed into seans, but i've had it poot to me that you use that seam crimp instead, probaly beasue people have noticed that's what mr harris is using in the guidebook photo.

so unless nastly traverse does use the dish (and the harris photo is a variation) then there's 2 holds where 38 is which need to be numbered seperately.

chris05

• forum abuser
#110 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 23, 2010, 11:07:37 am
Hi

I realise this topic was from a while ago but was the guide ever finished? I've seen the linked pdf which didn't include Tom's roof, just wondered if I've missed the final version (yes I have tried searching!)?

cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#111 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 23, 2010, 11:21:50 am
A lot of the topos are hosted on the Vimeo UKBouldering Group.

In this instance the Stoney Guide is no different to the last one linked from this thread (and for some reason doesn't appear to have the pictures included  :shrug:)

chris05

• forum abuser
#112 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 23, 2010, 12:27:25 pm
ok cheers for that, wasn't aware of the vimeo group  :shrug:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#113 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 23, 2010, 03:28:12 pm
Finally got around to uploading the new version to the Vimeo Group.

Which, incidentally, now has 100 members  :beer2:

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#114 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 23, 2010, 04:37:31 pm
Looks good.

On George's Wall, there are two dynos:

George's Wall Dyno - from jug to break - 7B / 7B+

Quent's Legendary Dyno - jug to sloper - 7C / 7C+ ? (possibly unrepeated?)

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#115 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 24, 2010, 06:15:56 pm
Looks good.

On George's Wall, there are two dynos:

George's Wall Dyno - from jug to break - 7B / 7B+

Quent's Legendary Dyno - jug to sloper - 7C / 7C+ ? (possibly unrepeated?)

Is jug to sloper not a Dawes problem?

Jug to break would be stiff for 7b I reckon. More than one grade harder than the minus 10 ones?

r-man

• forum hero
#116 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 24, 2010, 06:51:01 pm
No, not a Dawes problem. There was some confusion about this, but:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,1519.msg15187.html#msg15187
Quote from: ian h
i spoke to johnny about this problem once. he stated that he did not know how it came about that he did the first ascent. but he aknowledged quint fisher had done it first.

he went on to say quint had done it from specified low footholds which is why he went to the sloper.

Which suggests Dawes may only have done it to the break? The dyno to the sloper is the one that

http://www.climber.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?item=534
Quote from: pantontino
Quentin famously sieged...over a four year period, even driving out from Sheffield at five in the morning just so that he could get better conditions.

I have heard this before also, but I don't know where.

Jug to break would be stiff for 7b I reckon. More than one grade harder than the minus 10 ones?

Going to the break doesn't feel much harder than other Minus Ten dynos to me. But going to the sloper is loads and loads harder.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:57:57 pm by r-man »

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#117 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 24, 2010, 07:01:56 pm
No, not a Dawes problem. There was some confusion about this, but:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,1519.msg15187.html#msg15187
Quote from: ian h
i spoke to johnny about this problem once. he stated that he did not know how it came about that he did the first ascent. but he aknowledged quint fisher had done it first.

he went on to say quint had done it from specified low footholds which is why he went to the sloper.

Which suggests Dawes may only have done it to the break? The dyno to the sloper is the one that

http://www.climber.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?item=534
Quote from: pantontino
Quentin famously sieged...over a four year period, even driving out from Sheffield at five in the morning just so that he could get better conditions.

I have heard this before also, but I don't know where.

Good knowledge.

Going to the break doesn't feel much harder than other Minus Ten dynos to me. But going to the sloper is MUCH harder.

Everyone I know who has done this (not that many people, considering I knock about with lots of dyno fans) have taken considerably longer on this than the others. I've never tried going to the sloper, and don't know anyone who's done it.

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#118 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 25, 2010, 08:14:52 am
Sorry - must try harder.

I'll make some changes and get a new version up somewhere - with pictures and everything  ;D

Check back in a few days...

PS I never got round to Toms Roof - I have the prob list, but no imagery... I could always draw something.

dave

#119 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 25, 2010, 10:26:48 am
Going to the break doesn't feel much harder than other Minus Ten dynos to me. But going to the sloper is MUCH harder.

Everyone I know who has done this (not that many people, considering I knock about with lots of dyno fans) have taken considerably longer on this than the others. I've never tried going to the sloper, and don't know anyone who's done it.

Georges jug to break is a shit load harder than any of the usual -10 dynos with the possible exception of quents with the specified footholds, and one-arm with feet high on the edges, neither of which I've done to comment on. Its also significantly harder than stuff like the buckstone dyno etc. basically name me any 7b dyno in the peak and this is harder than it. You get the picture.

Dunno if its just from being tall and bunched up on those high edges, but I felt on this you really had to pull hard with your arms, rather than the usual pendulum-and-legpush technique.

r-man

• forum hero
#120 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
February 25, 2010, 12:06:39 pm
Georges jug to break is a shit load harder than any of the usual -10 dynos with the possible exception of quents with the specified footholds, and one-arm with feet high on the edges, neither of which I've done to comment on. Its also significantly harder than stuff like the buckstone dyno etc. basically name me any 7b dyno in the peak and this is harder than it. You get the picture.

Dunno if its just from being tall and bunched up on those high edges, but I felt on this you really had to pull hard with your arms, rather than the usual pendulum-and-legpush technique.

Perhaps the problem is there aren't many true dynos in the peak? Not many problems to compare it to. I find it much easier than sitstart slap things like pooh and jetpack, neither of which I've done. Seems about the same as the Buckstone dyno to me. Perhaps as I'm not that tall I'm just used to needing my feet quite high for dynos, so George's didn't feel unusual. I found a quick two-bounce technique worked well - one bounce to get foot on the high edge, another to dyno.

I also think it's about the same or easier than the 7b on the Red Wall at Trowbarrow (without specified footholds, I only found out about them later!), and probably easier than The Ugly at Brownstones, which is also around the 7b mark.

Anyway, I know I'm not the only one to find George's reasonable. I've showed a couple of people, both of whom have done it pretty quickly. I also know someone who thought it was 7A+. This all goes to prove grades are subjective. Ground-breaking stuff...

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#121 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
March 02, 2010, 06:12:16 pm
rocketman, d'you mind if I take the topo and turn it into an iPhone app? Obviously it'd go on the app store as a freebie and would welcome any advice (from anyone) about relevant credits/links in the opening screen.

If it sounds like something useful/wanted I'll post up some screen shots, agree wording on the intro text and all that, and go from there

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#122 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
March 02, 2010, 08:47:45 pm
rocketman, d'you mind if I take the topo and turn it into an iPhone app? Obviously it'd go on the app store as a freebie and would welcome any advice (from anyone) about relevant credits/links in the opening screen.

If it sounds like something useful/wanted I'll post up some screen shots, agree wording on the intro text and all that, and go from there

alright mate. Sounds interesting, I'd be keen to get involved in the ui and design - you from a techy background?

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#123 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
March 02, 2010, 10:59:50 pm
- you from a techynerdy background?

sadly yes, been working up some iphonage for a bit now and thought this might be a nice add-on for the topo. I'll email you to give you an idea of what I've got so far.

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#124 Re: Minus Ten - mini guide
May 18, 2010, 03:14:54 pm
This is now as "complete" as its going to get. Had fun putting it together...

http://clients.rckt.co.uk/stoney

Enjoy,

AtotheB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal