UKBouldering.com

Calling of The Barbecue (Read 131251 times)

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#50 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 28, 2009, 07:24:25 pm
and down to the serious business of the barbecue itself

This was bought for £7.99 in a sale at Argos last year
I know that it is the epitome of shite British style barbecues, but at least it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a short step up from a disposable job.

I reckon the basicness of a guys bbq relates to his sperm count. The cheaper it is, the more fertile you are!

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#51 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 28, 2009, 07:42:46 pm

that's true - the last bbq I had cost a tenner and did the job perfectly... :D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#52 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 30, 2009, 11:26:08 pm
Another sunny day, another barbecue.

Tonight's highlights

Sparrow Grass wrapped in prosciutto for starter - a family favourite.

I like it with only a thin layer of ham and I prefer to use the cheaper, less strong stuff - about half of a slice of the prepacked stuff from the supermarket per asparagus spear is about right (I cut the whole pack in half with scissors). A quick couple of squirts with that spray on cooking oil that calorie counting ladyboys use is just right to stop the ham and the exposed asparagus shrinking or drying out too much.

Let the edges of the ham just start to get crispy and cool for a minute or two before eating.

Ribbons of rump steak (cut across the grain, avoiding the gristle), seasoned with salt and pepper and then twirled around oyster mushrooms on a stick. Takes horse radish, mustard or wassabi very nicely, but is fine on it's own

And of course - man's best friend - straightforward rump steak. Bit of salt, tiny bit of black pepper and some paprika on this one.

This is not just barbecue food; this is Lagerstarfish barbecue food.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:31:10 pm by lagerstarfish »

Duma

• forum hero
#53 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 31, 2009, 08:07:58 am

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#54 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 02, 2009, 09:03:11 am
Vegetables on a barbeque! The devils work, ek se.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#55 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 02, 2009, 09:17:13 am
I forgot to take a photo of it but we christened our new 57cm Weber in true style on Sunday with Mrs Bigphil's homemade kebabs followed by 36oz of prime rump steak which had marinaded for 36hrs to this recipe....

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/black-and-blue-beef-recipe_p_1.html

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :thumbsup:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#56 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 12:12:47 pm
I am going to Lagers' house for a BBQ, he is clearly the BBQ Daddy!  :thumbsup:

Paul, have you never noticed the really burnt patches that appear under every disposable BBQ ever lit?  Even I know you can't put them on a table without incident.  :lol:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#57 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 12:19:48 pm
Paul, have you never noticed the really burnt patches that appear under every disposable BBQ ever lit?
Yes! Every nice picnic area/park etc has the tell tail squares of dead grass. Makes me very angry, it takes ages to regrow after being killed off like that. Grrrrrr.  :spank: Morons.

Paul B

• forum hero
#58 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 12:32:19 pm
YES! so I didn't put it on the table, it was on a wire rack thing a good 15cm from the table itself.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#59 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 12:42:20 pm
Yes! Every nice picnic area/park etc has the tell tail squares of dead grass. Makes me very angry, it takes ages to regrow after being killed off like that. Grrrrrr.  :spank: Morons.

It is indeed moronic. All you need is 2 crushed beer cans to balance it on.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#60 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 03:27:55 pm
Unless you're using the really cheap ones, in which case the coals will get hot enough to somehow melt through the flimsy little metal tray they are sitting in and end up on the grass, or as Paul has demonstrated, the table anyway. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#61 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 03:49:58 pm
Until it happened to Paul, i have never heard of that. He must have the Midas (or is that Merde-s) touch.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#62 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 04:01:40 pm
Last year the little Tesco's over the road was selling those disposable bbq's at something stupid like £1.99 ..............the coals burnt through the bbq outer and dropped onto the table, which after a while started to burn and flame.

Unless you're using the really cheap ones, in which case the coals will get hot enough to somehow melt through the flimsy little metal tray

Herein lies a lesson (and for once not just that Tescos are cunts).

Paul B

• forum hero
#63 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 04:17:10 pm
the thing is they wouldn't have normally been cheap malc doubter, it was after the summer, hence my genius all weather bbq fail.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#64 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 04:23:08 pm
I've never doubted Malc! Just Jerry's memory.

Must admit I've used the cheap Sainsbury's disposable BBQs loads and they've never disintegrated.

So we're back to Tesco's just being cunts then. Fine by me.  ;D

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#65 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 04:53:07 pm
I don't know where our fally-apart ones came from but the arse definitely fell out of them, on more than one occasion.  Saying that, I have used cheap-ish ones which were ok.

I don't know what that proves, let's just stick with Tesco are cunts, that seems to be the general consensus anyway.  ;D

Does anyone have one of the bucket BBQs, are they any good?  I am tempted by their cuteness...

tomtom

• forum hero
#66 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 05:17:00 pm
I don't know where our fally-apart ones came from but the arse definitely fell out of them, on more than one occasion.  Saying that, I have used cheap-ish ones which were ok.

I don't know what that proves, let's just stick with Tesco are cunts, that seems to be the general consensus anyway.  ;D

Does anyone have one of the bucket BBQs, are they any good?  I am tempted by their cuteness...

The problem with nice looking cheap BBQ's(especially ones painted)  is that after you've used them once, the paint gets burnt off in places, they get covered with fat and soot and burn marks etc.. then they inevitably get left outside and rust..

:(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#67 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 05:47:17 pm
My mate South African Mike (who is from Zimbabwe - of course) made a barbecue out of a beer keg.

Bit like this.......

Works a treat. He is a farrier though so knows his shit with welding etc. They call it a brie there (right Chris?) but his barbecues have always been more correctly described as "proper serious piss ups".

:alky: :beer2: :beer1:  :alky:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#68 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 06:10:24 pm
Braai. And any proper braai should be a serious piss-up. Braais often get made from half oil drums too (sufficiently cleaned!).

And some Zimbabweans take offence at being called South Africans. Bit like calling a Canadian a Seppo. But some don't mind.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#69 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 06:14:35 pm
He's Zimbabwean but grew up in South Africa so he doesn't mind. Supports the Rugby / Cricket / Football teams etc.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#70 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 03, 2009, 09:08:16 pm
we had 2 in font last week.full sun till 10 shorts only.we even cooked a horse(well a small one).lucy we are getting a fire pit from homebase on chesterfield road.it has a grill on top to cook then when you have finished you can throw some logs on and sit round the fire quaffing fine wine

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#71 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 07:43:03 am
Does anyone have one of the bucket BBQs, are they any good?  I am tempted by their cuteness...

We've got one for camping. I really rate it. The fuel goes in an inner bucket with little air holes in the bottom and the whole lot folds up into a very portable little package - you can transport it with the fuel inside ready for lighting when you need it.
Ours came with a small bag of instant lighting charcoal, which took ages to get lit because the little bits got stuck in the air holes. Since then I have uses briquettes (using firelighters to start it off) and they work fine. It does take a long time to get to the point where it is ready to cook - about an hour. However, it is good for cooking for a whole hour and is good for sitting around warming your toes for another couple of hours; remarkably efficient, really. There are still red hot coals inside it on the following morning, so you need to take care to chuck some water in and make sure it is all cool before chucking the ash in a bin.
Not a massive cooking area, but this isn't a problem as it stays hot for long enough to cook a few rounds.
The legs work fine, reasonably sturdy and no sign of the grass underneath getting scorched. (DISCLAIMER: this in no way implies that it would be suitable or safe for use by Paul B)
Ours has had 10 or so uses and still looks fine.

tomtom

• forum hero
#72 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 08:45:40 am
Ours has had 10 or so uses and still looks fine.

Cool, like the inner bucket burner idea... strike me down with hell fire for being so Bucket BBQ cynical...  :spank:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#73 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 08:56:56 am
I have to say, I was very cynical about the bucket and it was Mrs Starfish that wanted to buy it - at £5 in Woolworth's (Bridlington branch) last chance sale last summer I wasn't going to complain. I expected it to last the weekend and then have to be scrapped, but was happy to be wrong. It is a great design.

I don't remember ours having holes in the side of the main bucket like the ones in 'Pie's post? I'll check later.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#74 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 04, 2009, 09:27:11 am
Ooooh, now I really want one.  I will look for ones with the inner bucket thing, that sounds like the most sensible, and least paint burny, type.  :thumbsup:  The one in the picture was just an example from Google, I don't specifically have my sights set on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal