UKBouldering.com

Stress fracture in a knuckle.... (Read 34860 times)

cl204

#25 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
January 13, 2015, 01:19:33 pm
@tomtom, not while massaging as such, but if I open up the fingers fully and then make a fist, the tendon running to the middle finger often (not always) "jumps". Not as in trigger finger though, this I understand is quite different.
@turnipturned, thanks I'll check them out.

Will be getting an x-ray on Thursday so we shall see if it is something obvious from that! Will be nice just to have some clarity...

Thanks for the all the responses and advice folks!

andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
February 15, 2018, 10:23:50 am
Managed to self-diagnose my massive left middle-finger PIP as having a stress fracture through the wisdom of UKB...

What is meant by "inflammatory foods" in rocksteady's post?

dunnyg

• forum hero
#27 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
February 15, 2018, 10:29:37 am
Vindaloo?

andy_e

• forum hero
#28 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
February 15, 2018, 10:37:28 am
Yeah, but that inflames a different region, and I'm not planning on having that region meet up with my middle finger.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#29 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
February 15, 2018, 11:27:44 am
If your middle knuckle hurts and is swollen much of the time, you may have a stress fracture.

Or capsulitis.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#30 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
February 15, 2018, 11:49:16 am
Capsulitis is definitely what I had last summer. Did some Julian Saunders stretching (painful!) and I'd say its about 80% fine now. Still hurts like fuck when you accidentally catch it on something or bend it the wrong way suddenly but for climbing I haven't had a problem in several months.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#31 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
February 22, 2018, 02:00:43 pm
Managed to self-diagnose my massive left middle-finger PIP as having a stress fracture through the wisdom of UKB...

What is meant by "inflammatory foods" in rocksteady's post?

The hand therapist I saw basically outlawed anything from the 'nightshades' family which seemed to include potatoes, peppers, garlic, chilli and most other ingredients that make food tasty and worth eating.

I did not follow her advice. But I do still have numerous swollen and soreish knuckles. However, they generally don't bother me when climbing.

andy_e

• forum hero
#32 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
July 30, 2018, 01:54:10 pm
After thinking it had healed, I think I've refractured my stress fracture. Is topical diclofenac a good idea or not?

sheavi

• menacing presence
#33 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
July 31, 2018, 10:23:17 am
Bad idea - no inflammation = no healing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#34 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
July 31, 2018, 11:53:59 am
After thinking it had healed, I think I've refractured my stress fracture. Is topical diclofenac a good idea or not?

Andy, go and get seen by someone who knows. I thought I had self-diagnosed some kind of DIP joint stress-fracture of capsule problem. Turns out it was neither, Phil Mack Physio in Edinburgh diagnosed as extensor tendon tendinosis. Treat has been ongoing 4 weeks (massage, laser, dry needling, climbing, eccentric loading) massive improvement, back climbing now and nearly pain free, also, the tendon itself is smooth and reduced in size (it was all fibrous and fat before (not swollen).

Go See Someone!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#35 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
July 31, 2018, 12:12:28 pm

Andy, go and get seen by someone who knows. I thought I had self-diagnosed some kind of DIP joint stress-fracture of capsule problem. Turns out it was neither, Phil Mack Physio in Edinburgh diagnosed as extensor tendon tendinosis. Treat has been ongoing 4 weeks (massage, laser, dry needling, climbing, eccentric loading) massive improvement, back climbing now and nearly pain free, also, the tendon itself is smooth and reduced in size (it was all fibrous and fat before (not swollen).

Go See Someone!

Sounds very interesting Fultonius. I have seen a physio regarding my fat middle finger PIP and although he couldn't be sure, he thought capsulitis most likely and warned that treating it can be a bit of a bastard. That said, he freely admitted he was not an expert on the condition.

Intrigued by the treatment you talk about. Whats the massage and eccentric loading exercises you're doing? Might give it a crack; can't harm, might help! Also whats laser treatment?!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#36 Re: Stress fracture in a knuckle....
July 31, 2018, 12:16:20 pm
Mine wasn't capsulitis so I doubt any of the treatments I get will be relevant.

Mine was tendoniosis, which is a non-inflammatory degradation of the tendon. I.e. the tendon has given up trying to heal itself and starts to weaken, go all fibrous and mushy. The treatment is all intended to strengthen (eccentric mechanical loading) and promote slight aggravation to re-start the healing process.

Phil Mack is meant to be pretty good for most climbing related finger injuries.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal