UKBouldering.com

Comfy recovery jugs (Read 2961 times)

Danny

• junky
Comfy recovery jugs
July 04, 2018, 08:00:09 pm
Quite a specific request here.

My friend has a large 45 degree board and a large 15 degree board. In an effort to get some trad stamina I've started trying to circuit around the 15 degree board in 20 minute chunks, and it seems to be paying off (relative to an extremely crappy baseline of endurance).

Problem is, his little boxy jugs are ripping the shit out of my fingers as I sweat away trying to recover on them between circuits on edges. I'm planning on ordering a couple of jugs (or one big one)--and I'll probably do OK by eyeballing stuff on the internet, but it would be better if someone could point me at some uber-skin friendly ones based on experience. Low profile preferred also.

DWS

#1 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 04, 2018, 09:00:59 pm
How about some wooden jugs from Beastmaker or HardWoodHolds. 

mark20

• junky
#2 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 05, 2018, 07:57:24 am
I like the bleaustone ones. Resin but with quite a 'fine grain' and nice on the skin.
https://rockrun.com/products/bleaustone-training-range-45deg-warm-up-jugs

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 05, 2018, 08:10:19 am
mopstick screwed and glued to a strip of ply of a thickness of your choice, cut at an angle of your choice, then sand to fine tune shape/texture

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#4 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 05, 2018, 10:20:22 am
The best I had was on the original incarnation of my home board. I had a Beastmaker 1000 mounted centrally on the board, with some angled chocks of wood behind it so it hung vertically. I would do circuits around it then shake out on the jugs. Worked very well and the jugs where very comfy. Photo here. Probably not the most practical option but food for thought.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 05, 2018, 12:25:00 pm
as an immediate fix/bodge - appropriately sized bits of carrymat foam + duct tape applied to existing holds? or maybe just the duct tape bit depending on hold topography?
Also, thin-ish, tight-ish builder gloves work surprisingly well on easier circuits.

Danny

• junky
#6 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 05, 2018, 12:47:58 pm
Some good suggestions in the mix here. Thanks all.

-Had a look at Beastmaker but wasn't sure if their jeggs fitted the bill.

-HWH/bleastone look like the best off-the-shelf options.

-I like the idea of a bit of roll mat in the interim and I may try to carve a jugo myself, a la largers, as I just made a wooden pullup bar and have a decent offcut left from that.

-Not sure that gloves are a good plan as I need to transition to smaller holds between shake-outs.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 17, 2018, 10:16:47 pm
I’ve just fondled your jugs ...

:tease:

Danny

• junky
#8 Re: Comfy recovery jugs
July 30, 2018, 06:26:21 pm
I’ve just fondled your jugs ...

:tease: