UKBouldering.com

Jazz club....ggrrrrreat! (Not a Fast Show thread) (Read 11514 times)

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
As me and the mrs are currently on a bit of a jazz thing  8) , I thought I'd get a thread going for any aficionados to give us suggested listening. Here in the C household we have a lot of old standards but we've started widening the range a bit so any suggestions are welcome.

For those who've never heard them. may I recommend a couple of oldies?
The complete recordings of Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five and Hot Seven from the late 1920s. You can here the foundations of pretty much all subsequent jazz being laid down and enjoy the sheer power and brilliance of perhaps the greatest of all jazz players.

The Complete Recordings of Bix Beiderbeke and Freddie Trimbauer. A wonderful contrast in styles from two of the early white players to make an impact on the genre.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I can recommend the haunting Buddy Guy melody Desolate Shores with Clam, on bass.

Eddies

• forum hero
Soweto Kinch, Jazz meets hip-hop.
Another member of the same band but very good in his own right is Abram Wilson.

Courntey Pine is also a very good musician..... Nnnnice

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
The soundtrack to the Jim Jarmusch film, Broken Flowers features some excellent Ethiopian Jazz, mainly by Mulatu Astatke, the Ethiopiques compilations are well worth seeking out, very atmospheric.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_m_h__0_7?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=ethiopiques&x=0&y=0&sprefix=ethiopi

On a more space jazz,Sun Ra kinda vibe, this is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_m_h__0_17?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=universal+sounds+of+america&x=0&y=0&sprefix=universal+sounds+

as is this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Thing-Various-Artists/dp/B0007SMEC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236606203&sr=1-2

chillax

• forum abuser
It may not be to everyone's taste, but I think Coltrane's "One Down, One Up" is one of the best live jazz recordings ever released.

As for the classics, you can't really go wrong with Django Reinhardt. Its all gold. Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock, Blue Train by John Coltrane and Speak No Evil by Wayne Shorter are all must-haves...but I'm sure you already know that. Miles Davis' "In A Silent Way" is an overlooked gem, and "Friday Night In San Francisco" by John McGloughlin, Al DiMeola and Paco DeLucia is just fantastic. I'll have a root around the collection and come up with some more later.

andy popp

• forum hero
I ave mostly been listening to Alice Coltrane, Pharaoh Sanders, Jackie McLean, John McLaughlin, Sonny Rollins and Polar Bear.

Those recommendations look good Zod and Chillax.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
I ave mostly been listening to Alice Coltrane, Pharaoh Sanders, Jackie McLean, John McLaughlin, Sonny Rollins and Polar Bear.

Those recommendations look good Zod and Chillax.

Good choice too, I've got a few of his impulse albums, Black Unity and Karma, very good.

DaveC

• junky
Cheers everyone. That's a nice little collection to start with, keep 'em coming.

chillax

• forum abuser
Keith Jarret - 'Tokyo '96'
I never get tired of listening to this. Great late - night piano jazz.

Bill Evans - 'The Solo Sessions'
Beautiful haunting sparse piano. Great

'Duke Ellington meets Coleman Hawkins'
Two legends. Very good album.

Anything by Pat Metheny. Very listenable, laid back jazz-rock fusion. But definitely not "easy listening"!

And if blues is your bag, I'm currently rockin' out to Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at Montreaux 1982. Highly recommended.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Ah ha....

I second In a Silent Way.
As well as all the obvious (Birth of the Cool, Ascenseur Pour, Porgy & Bess, Kind of Blue, ESP, Milestones, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Bitches Brew) I love Live-Evil and Jack Johnson. And I will admit to owning On the Corner.

Ole is my favourite Coltrane album. The title track is utterly awesome.
I have a soft spot for Coltrane and Johnny Hartman too.
Giant Steps as well. And Africa Brass.

And I like Monk's solo stuff.  Monk Alone is worth getting.

Other favourites:

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus and Mingus Ah Um and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Herbie Hanckock - I second Maiden Voyage and add Empyrean Isles
Bill Evans - At Montreux

Of course, that lot barely scratches the surface...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Another vote for McLaughlin.

Fond of Pat Metheny too, but I've never been sure if it's OK to admit that.

Always prefered my jazz w/ a rock/skronk edge.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I only listen to Jazz once in a blue moon, but have been enjoying Ken Clarke's Jazz Greats on Radio 4.

I'll be checking out your recommendations from this thread.

A quick scan of the cd pile shows that the only jazz that I own is Kind Of Blue. Nice album that has seen me through some tough times.

Yossarian

• forum hero

Always prefered my jazz w/ a rock/skronk edge.

You need to get yourself a copy of Live Evil then.

And maybe try Pangea and/or Agharta.

You may also enjoy the liner notes from Charles Mingus's The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.  They were written by his psychotherapist.  A Dr Edmund Pollock...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
You need to get yourself a copy of Live Evil then.

:agree:

And Dark Magus is another goodie from the same era.  Proper heavy grooves...  Sun Ra's Lanquidity is probably the most funky and accesible of his albums and is pretty close to electric Miles.

For something relatively recent, it's worth listening to Masses and Amassed by Spring Heeled Jack. A bit difficult to stick a label on but I'd bracket it in the jazz/improv category due to Matthew Shipps presence on sax.

Andy - Have you tried Albert Ayler?

andy popp

• forum hero
Andy me?

I have, but I'm better now.

Any Ornette Coleman recommendations for a naive beginner?

Live Evil really sounds a must. Two great Mingus albums not mentioned yet are Roots and Blues and Live at Antibes. Also, no-one has mentioned A Love Supreme yet. A cliche perhaps but it is still magnificent. I have a 'deluxe' edition with the only ever full live performance, again at Antibes. Also very fond of a CD containing Coltrane's sets from Newport in 63 and 65.

Yossarian

• forum hero

Any Ornette Coleman recommendations for a naive beginner?

Live Evil really sounds a must. Two great Mingus albums not mentioned yet are Roots and Blues and Live at Antibes. Also, no-one has mentioned A Love Supreme yet. A cliche perhaps but it is still magnificent. I have a 'deluxe' edition with the only ever full live performance, again at Antibes. Also very fond of a CD containing Coltrane's sets from Newport in 63 and 65.

Something Else!!! and Free Jazz maybe?

I have a great big box set of all his Atlantic recordings, called Beauty is a Rare Thing, but it's a bit of an investment.

I'm also v into Freddie Hubbard.   Backlash is good, and Straight Life too (esp if you have a thing for funk)

DaveC

• junky
Just added the John Surman's The Spaces In Between to the collection. Something a bit different as the Trans4mation String Quartet bring an almost classical touch to the work.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Where to start!

+1 for the other late 60s/early70s Miles suggestions, especially In A Quiet Way.

This compilation got me into 70s Sun Ra type stuff:

(But I think On The Corner is great: the sound of Miles sticking two fingers up to everyone who bought Kind of Blue).

Straight-er late 50s/ early 60s classics:  Lee Morgan - Sidewinder,  Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Collosus, Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonius Monk, Duke Ellington (with Mingus and Max Roach) - Money Jungle, Horace Silver - Song for my Father, Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else (this is the Miles Davis KoB band), Bill Evans - Sunday at Village Vanguard for starters...

andy popp

• forum hero
Having heard and liked his playing on others' albums have just got Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue. So cool it makes even Miles look square (almost).

andy popp

• forum hero

Really grrreeeaaattt.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
Niiiiiice mr Popp

fried

• forum hero
Didn't even know we had a jazz thread. Jazz mags or Jazz fags? That is the question.

From his easy-listening album.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice to see this one resurrected.

More Derek Bailey, doing his thing with DJ Nidj:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Semi-off topic / cross thread pollution  :guilty: :oops: :rtfm:

andy popp

• forum hero
Crickey! I'd not heard of Derek Bailey. He's not Acker Bilk is he.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal