UKBouldering.com

Post crag conditions, hot news, etc using SMS to ukBouldering's Twitter page (Read 66047 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Well spotted, hadn't noticed that.

Good case for using Twibble if you've "unlimited" net usage on your contract.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
thought I'd better highlight this on here incase people haven't twigged:

As it transpires, the twitter number that you text to (+44 7624 801423) is an Isle Of Man number, which despite being a +44 "UK" number is classed as being international by a lot of mobile providers, like apparently T-mobile, orange, o2 etc etc. Consequently it could be costing you upwards of 20 or 25p a throw to text to it, in which case it won't come out of your inclusive text bundles. So its probably worth checking before you go apeshit on a twitter texting regime.

This has just changed for Vodafone users and other networks should follow suit

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Is there something up with the UKB twitter? I posted @ukbouldering a couple of times over the weekend with conditions reports but the updates don't seem to have been updated...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Is there something up with the UKB twitter? I posted @ukbouldering a couple of times over the weekend with conditions reports but the updates don't seem to have been updated...

I noticed that one I'd sent a week ago Sunday was reposted mid-week last week, no updates appear to have made it through since the 8th April.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I received a tweet from FD on the 12th (it's still in my tweetdeck) saying "Beautiful down Cheedale today. Did Hungry Eyes yyfy", but then this hasn't appeared on the twitter page when I look now..

Checking on Twittbot (the thing that posts to the ukb twitter) there is a news item dated 8th April saying "unannounced Twitter api change breaks Twittbot" - I would guess that's what's caused the problem. It's fixed now apparantly so all should work again....

edit
Looks like twittbot still having problems coz recent updates not reaching the account...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:15:23 pm by Bubba »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I received a tweet from FD on the 12th (it's still in my tweetdeck) saying "Beautiful down Cheedale today. Did Hungry Eyes yyfy", but then this hasn't appeared on the twitter page when I look now..

You will have seen that because you're 'following' me and see my all twitts.  I sent a test earlier ( I think you did too) but it hasn't appeared in ukbouldering..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Ah yes, of course  :wall:

The problem is Twittbot - see the message here

benpritch

• forum abuser
any one want half hourly updates for the orme you can follow llandudnoPWS on twitter. wind speed and direction,humidity, temp and precipitation. also the website has a web cam pointing straight at it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
any one want half hourly updates for the orme you can follow llandudnoPWS on twitter. wind speed and direction,humidity, temp and precipitation. also the website has a web cam pointing straight at it.

Good knowledge there Ben  :thumbsup:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Twittbot is still down i'm afraid - hope they fix it soon.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

This is still down - if it's not fixed within a week I'll set something else up to do the job.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I'm guessing at some stage the service we were using for this (Twittbot) will be repaired, but at the moment it's all dead and the developer won't reply to any information requests.

So, In the meantime this may work as a stop-gap.

http://www.tweetizen.com/users/throatslitter/ukbouldering

Tweetizen is much less flexible or powerful than Twittbot but it works differently.

All you need to do is mark any tweet with either:

ukbouldering.com or #ukbouldering

and after a short delay the Tweetizen page picks it up and displays it. There is also a way of embedding the feed into the forum like this:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:01:58 am by Bubba »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
So the reason why our conditions reports feed stopped working is because Twitter stopped showing @replies to anyone who followed a Twitter profile just after Bubbs setup the UKB profile.  So previously if you had been following UKB you would have seen all @ukb replies in your feed but that has now stopped. Has anyone seen a workaround or otherwise 'cos it was really bloody useful when it was working.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I'm keeping my eyes open for an alternative but it still looks like Twittbot is borked and i've not seen any alternatives that work in any way as well.

It's quite frustrating really as the developers won't even say whether the project is dead/on hold/whatever.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
So the reason why our conditions reports feed stopped working is because Twitter stopped showing @replies to anyone who followed a Twitter profile just after Bubbs setup the UKB profile.  So previously if you had been following UKB you would have seen all @ukb replies in your feed but that has now stopped. Has anyone seen a workaround or otherwise 'cos it was really bloody useful when it was working.

Seems to work ok for me still, just got your message about things not working come through ok via twitterfeed...

I've used Twitterfeed.com to set up and collate various Sheffield flickr group activity into one place and it works fine.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just checked the older tweets against the threads here and the last post in this sub-forum was on the 25th and it appears to have made it through fine too...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Slackers,

you saw it because it was a post made on UKB rather than a Tweet. Bubbs has setup a Twitterfeed from the Conditions threads.

If I was to Tweet @ukbouldering you wouldn't
see it in your Twitterfeed.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Yeah, Bubba explained that, also a PIA 'cause it doesn't work if you SMS conditions, but its strange that '@ukbouldering' doesn't work though.  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
tomtom has come up with a work around to this, and that is to tag all condition reports posted to twitter with '#ukb'

To then see posts pertaining to conditions report you then simply search for the 'ukb' tag on twitter.  Providing no one else is using it for anything you should only get a timeline of UKB conditions reports  :thumbsup:

Good work to tomtom for sussing this one out  :bow:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Have you noticed that the Tweetizen post box (about 8 posts up) has picked up the posts tagged with ukbouldering automatically? I'll change it to pull in #ukb too

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Nice, I think we should find every single possible way of linking in tweets and RSS feeds for UKB conditions reports and stitch it all up nicely!!

tomtom

• forum hero

Have you noticed that the Tweetizen post box (about 8 posts up) has picked up the posts tagged with ukbouldering automatically? I'll change it to pull in #ukb too

Just had a good look at Tweetizen for my page.. problem is that it only seems to take recent updates (e.g. last day or two) instead of having a history of updates... :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Obviously this is no longer working due to the demise of Twittbot but I'd like to get it going again.

Can anyone see a problem with this:

- In addition to the ukbouldering twitter account, I create another one, say ukbconditions or something like that.
- The ukbouldering account is set to auto-follow anyone who follows it
- People post conditions reports to ukbouldering containing certain text (eg #ukbc)
- Using Twitterfeed, posts containing #ukbc are stripped from the ukbouldering twitter rss feed and sent to the ukbconditions twitter account.
- That way, the ukbconditions feed *only* displays conditions reports, whilst the main ukbouldering feed would contain everything from followers, etc etc.
- ukbcondtions wouldn't follow anybody, but everyone interested in conditions reports would follow it.

Does that make sense? A reasonable solution?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The only downside I see is people remembering to include #ukbc in posts, but since those from here who "tweet" regularly already seem to be in the habit of doing this it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
This is trickier than I first thought - twitterfeed won't allow you to use a twitter timeline rss feed :(

I'll probably have to set something up on the server.

<edit>
I think I can do this via a blog:
- set up dummy wordress blog on my server
- use the feedwordpress plugin to create blog content from the ukbouldering twitter rss feed
- now use twitterfeed to syndicate the rss view of the blog

going to try it out...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:21:44 pm by Bubba »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal