UKBouldering.com

Mac Stuff (Read 15179 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#25 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 09:06:35 am
That's just called good marketing slackers. No one needs anything. Nearly every single idea is built on something else.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 09:16:08 am
Nearly every single idea is built on something else.

Yep, the old "Standing on the shoulders of giants". The "Everything is a Remix" video is all about that.

:off: I really think the world would be a better place without aggressive advertising.  I won't repost the Bill Hicks excerpt from Revelations where he encourages people who work in marketing to kill themselves as I have done many times but instead this from "Banksy"

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#27 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 09:23:32 am
I really think the world would be a better place without aggressive advertising.

How would that work though?  Word of mouth?   :offtopic:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#28 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 09:33:07 am
 :offtopic:

Ok, perhaps I shouldn't have used the strike-through there.  But do away with all the bullshit, "this will make you sexy" / "this is amazing and you can't live without it" / "Because you're worth it" / "30% whiter than the leading competitor" / "[insert advertising campaign phrase]".

Just present facts.  If people make a good product it should be able to stand on its own two feet against the competition.  Review articles that compare products would (hopefully) be objective in their comparisons and people could then spend a little time researching what they are going to buy and make an informed choice.  This would have a positive effect as the "market" would become more competitive as a company making inferior products wouldn't last long as they couldn't bullshit/trick people into buying their inferior products and instead the standard/quality of everything would improve.

:offtopic:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#29 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 09:38:25 am
Banksy? Never heard of him? Oh the guy that uses a different form of advertising? Got him now.
I know what you mean re advertising but we live in the real world unfortunately, and without it I'd have no idea who Dave Mason was.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 09:57:23 am
Ah, but thats "art" so its "ok".

I'm not naive enough to think that advertising would actually ever disappear, just another of my hippy, free wishful thinking ideas. ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:03:58 am by slackline »

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#31 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 10:15:52 am
Thread Resurrection!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted some advice about Macs really.  My super computer which I built for myself a long time ago for video editing is about to die.  Basically the kids downloaded all sorts of games plus nasties, the main drive died and it's had to have an OS (XP) reinstall.  I, being paranoid, have 3 x 750GB drives with two mirrored for data I need to keep so I didn't lose everything.  This PC is now knackered, so we are looking at a replacement.  My wife likes Macs, so I have had a little look.  I'm currently a student (ha ha) so should be able to get a discount too.

If I were to go for an iMac (can't afford a Pro!!!) there are a couple of things I'd like to know:

Would the standard spec (3.4GHz quad core + 8GB RAM + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5) suffice for HD video editing? 

Would you be happy with the single 1TB SATA hard drive, or (like me) would you think about some form of back up too?

Would my HV20 work properly via the DV - Thunderbolt interface?

Is Final Cut Pro X any good?  I'm used to Premiere Pro.

Are Macs OK for running M$ Office on nowadays, as I'd still need to do work stuff.

I know about Flash etc, but I don't mind if the kids can't go on YouTube and games  :devil-smiley:

Any other things I'd need to think about?

I too am looking at replacing my 1st gen iMac. I think that says a lot... It's been a fine machine.

I intend to buy the smaller screen, but with video card model. I'm considering ordering it from apple, and getting the 2 TB HDD option.

I will use it near exclusively for video editing. I intend to use iMovie... It's always worked for me. The machine will be more than capable for HD video.. And yes, it's way better value than a pro these days

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#32 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 11:18:48 am
Thanks FatDoc, I'll keep researching but sounding like a done deal  :read:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 11:51:57 am
For video editing would you not benefit from having SSD's?  Would also be useful if you end up exceeding RAM and using swap (works nicely here).

You could, depending on space for drives, have a secondary (and/or tertiary if you wanted to set up RAID) drive to place things once they are done with editing.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#34 Re: Mac Stuff
July 25, 2014, 12:16:05 pm
I've got paired drives anyway, so a RAID1 would be easy to sort.  SSDs would be nice, but I'm not going to pay Apple for a Flash drive.  Anyone use the Fusion drive?  Any good?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#35 Re: Mac Stuff
October 03, 2014, 10:54:04 pm
Right, the super Kray PC died last weekend and was completely unsalvageable (don't let your kids randomly download stuff).  I now have an iMac.  Luckily I managed to remove the old paired drives and bung them into enclosures.  i have just finished transferring files to the iMac, and I don't think I've lost anything important.

I'll report back on the Mac once I've used it a bit.  So far, pretty happy.   :great:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#36 Re: Mac Stuff
October 04, 2014, 12:27:34 am
Sorry GCW I completely missed your reply to me earlier in the thread.

I too work hard (well, sort of) and like shiny good looking things that work well. Money isn't my major priority when I choose which phone/PC/car/jacket etc to buy, I've just always done a load of research to find something that fits my needs. I don't own any Apple stuff.

I suppose the thing that frustrates is the continuing idea amongst millions of people that just because something is more expensive or is marketed well it has to be better.

E.g. If the latest iPhone was universally acknowledged as being miles better than anything else I would consider buying one. However a tiny amount of research has made it apparent that the iPhone hasn't been the best phone available for years and year on year falls further behind the top phones on the market.

Yet the morons still queue. And probably always will.

Anyway, I hope your Mac is great and you enjoy using it more than grimer did when he got one.

;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#37 Re: Mac Stuff
October 04, 2014, 07:41:56 am
So far so good. Having all my vids and mp3s is a plus point. So far....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#38 Re: Mac Stuff
October 24, 2014, 04:48:03 pm
What do people do with their pics on apple stuff? Ive got about 800 pics across the various devices but are they using up speed or cluttering the place? Should i just keep my pics on iCloud, and back up on hard drive, and wipe them off the devices or just leave them? Plus if I've got albums on my phone they don't automatically back up to the same albums on my mac, should they even do this?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#39 Re: Mac Stuff
October 24, 2014, 08:05:49 pm
I had this question last this week when I couldn't take a photo on my phone it was so full. There doesn't seem be a simple way to deal with them. Make sure any you want are on the laptop, then delete them all off the phone. Don't blame me if you lose any.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#40 Re: Mac Stuff
October 24, 2014, 10:01:37 pm
Yeh was thinking along them lines. They're all on cloud as well so gonna delete off everything except laptop. The photos are pretty crap to understand if you're not hot with them. I expected the pics to download in their albums across everything no matter what device you took them on.
As an aside if you have pics on a few devices check them all and all derivations of stuff before someone else looks at them. I wouldn't like to have been blamed for some of the stuff Doylo sends to me   :o

Doylo

• forum hero
#41 Re: Mac Stuff
October 25, 2014, 02:15:07 am
Wholesome content.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#42 Re: Mac Stuff
October 25, 2014, 09:05:53 am
I wouldn't like to have been blamed for some of the stuff Doylo sends to me   :o

Seconded!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#43 Re: Mac Stuff
October 25, 2014, 09:45:45 am
We've had this same issue with photos on cards/phones/drives. I've a NAS in the front room and then another 1TB external hard drive that I mirror to. On my Macbook Air (small hard drive) I've bought a 128Gb Jetlight storage card and dumped the photos/films/pr0n onto that and use it as a extra drive on the desktop. Works well for an fairly cheap price.

As far as taking photos off your iphone, unless you want to use Iphoto (which Idon't), I use http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/ that allows you to view your iphone like any other normal phone when you plug it in

dave

#44 Re: Mac Stuff
October 25, 2014, 10:22:55 am
If you've got shit set up right then everything that goes onto your photostream (you can set all devices to dump all photos into this) will sync into individual monthly folders within iPhoto/Aperture, which are hence offline and subject to whatever local backups you run. So that means you can delete old photos off your devices camera roll safely as soon as it syncs, in practice assuming your mac is in regular use and you don't shoot thousands of photos to fill up your stream limits before it syncs then you can delete old photos from devices safely.

You can of course set individual devices to back up to your mac/iCloud as desired.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#45 Re: Mac Stuff
October 25, 2014, 02:34:59 pm
Right Dave I've got for the sake of argument, a Mac iPad and phone, I want to do all stuff like albums etc on mac, went through the tedious faces thing yesterday. If I do this on mac will these albums be available on phone or pad? Or do I just get every individual pic over iCloud? As in photo stream just showing individual pics? Could I take all pics off phone and pad and just have access to them when wifi available?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal