UKBouldering.com

The Promise Flashed (Read 121182 times)

Joe_M

#250 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 16, 2009, 04:49:35 pm
I met Franco at Raven Tor. He told me that he didn't like climbing on limestone and was only there to nick some quickdraws because he'd seen a load there the day before when the place was empty. Cock.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#251 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 01:39:48 pm
I would have thought that a ground up / flashed ascent of Careless Torque should suffice Lagers .....   

Franco

• menacing presence
#252 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 02:29:33 pm
I met Franco at Raven Tor. He told me that he didn't like climbing on limestone and was only there to nick some quickdraws because he'd seen a load there the day before when the place was empty. Cock.

It was the only place dry at the time. I don't really see what's wrong with that.

Franco

• menacing presence
#253 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 02:32:37 pm
I'd like to see solid proof, but think the idea of people doubting the guy is a bit sickening as climbing is completely based on trust.

How to totally contradict yourself and make absolutely no sense in one easy sentence.

makes quite good sense really. I'd love to see all you people proved wrong, as I believe the guy sans proof.

tc

• junky
#254 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 02:46:59 pm

It was the only place dry at the time. I don't really see what's wrong with that.

With what? Stealing quick draws or going to the Tor?

Franco

• menacing presence
#255 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 02:51:54 pm

either really. At the time I was versed fully in the ethics of sport climbing, if such a thing exists. If gear is left in a trad outcrop over night it's fair game. I now understand people 'work' routes over a period of time on sport crags and therefor leave QDs in situ, hense why I wouldn't begin to start pocketing QDs on sport crags these days...

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
#256 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 03:58:04 pm

either really. At the time I was versed fully in the ethics of sport climbing, if such a thing exists. If gear is left in a trad outcrop over night it's fair game. I now understand people 'work' routes over a period of time on sport crags and therefor leave QDs in situ, hense why I wouldn't begin to start pocketing QDs on sport crags these days...

You sound like a proper idiot dude.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#257 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 06:15:12 pm
'Climbing is based on trust ' ..... A particularly odd/ironic comment to hear from someone who openly admits to 'retrieving' other peoples gear .....   

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#258 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 17, 2009, 06:27:31 pm
not renound for his repect for the rights of others, but he did guarantee the maintenance of traditional values in Europe

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#259 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 09:59:42 am
I can confirm that lagers sent me a text at 12.02 on Friday claiming his ascent of the easy 7a+ at Virgin gym. He also said he'd failed on some 6cs so that's enough proof for me. He's a trustworthy chap and i don't believe that he'd lie about this or any future claimed ascents and stuff.

Franco, apologies if this comes across as harsh but you are a cock. Which planet did you grow up on where stealing other people's gear was ok?

If gear is left in a trad outcrop over night it's fair game.

So you find a jammed nut that someone couldn't get out. How could you possibly confuse that with a crag covered in quickdraws? Did you think that someone had been unable to retrieve all their gear off Mecca or something? You can't play the "I didn't understand sport climbing" card unless you are wanting to prove that you are not only a thief but also completely retarded. Fuckwit.

dave

#260 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 10:22:01 am
On the subject of half-inching QDs from sport routes, you're on dodgy ground. no-one really has any business leaving draws in a route, not in these days of clipsticks etc ad its not as if peak routes are the 80m roof staminathons you get in spain etc. and its a different matter at different crags. at somewhere like the WCj cornice no-one is going to see it, whereas at the Tor its in public view and in effect is litter. I've had non-climbing walkers come up to me at the tor and ask why there were quickdraws in mecca (not those exact words). I had to explain that some people are too lazy to treat the crag properly.

On the other hand its pretty tight to turn up and strip a route if you know they've only been there a day or whatever. And if you know who they belong to, then regardless of if that person is there or not its theft. leaving something unattended doesn't mean its fair game, like leaving your car somewhere isn't a green light for some skutter to nick it.

On the other hand, if someone "stole" all the draws out of mecca, those eyesores that have been there what 3 years now they'd be doing us all a favour. Or if you object to people leaving draws in routes theres nowt to stop you stripping it and leaving the lot clipped to the 2nd bolt with a note, i.e. not nicking it but leaving it clear that its not on.

I dare say i've not made myself very popular with this, but fuck it.

back to the promise: still no-one seen scotty do it?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#261 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 10:32:55 am
There's caring about how the crag looks and there's being a thieving scroat, word.

Yes, sorry dave this is all  :off:

I'll go dig out my pictures of lagers trying to pull onto the first move of Careless Torque.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#262 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 11:06:11 am
not renound for his repect for the rights of others, but he did guarantee the maintenance of traditional values in Europe
not renowned for his respect for the spelling of others, but he did guarantee the maintenance of traditional pedantism on UKB.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#263 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 01:54:25 pm
you are wanting to prove that you are not only a thief but also completely retarded.

I think in this instance proof is totally unnecessary.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#264 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 05:39:29 pm
You've got some good points there, Dave, but I'm not sure leaving draws in long term is necessarily the hanging offence you make it out to be. You've already drilled into the rock and glued in a fairly permanent bolt so why not hang a small bit of tape and metal off it? Seems like a small step.

I think my main concern would be the state of that hardwear. Having been left on the route for about three years there's nobody who really knows what conditions they've been through. How many lobs they've held, how many times freeze/thaw has worked on them in winter etc etc. Climbing hardware is pretty fucking strong but the tape may well be deteriorating rapidly having been left out in the elements and who's to say that they won't still be there in another 3 years, or 10 for that matter? Obviously the route wont see much direct rainfall as it overhangs like a futha mucka but limestone seeps.

Paul B

• forum hero
#265 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 05:45:45 pm
Bolts are far less intrusive than tape and tat and far less easy to pick out.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#266 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 07:28:03 pm
I can neither confirm nor deny that I flashed Careless Torque on Sunday, but if anyone else would like to put it about that I am shit hot on grit I would not object. I am rubish indoors BTW.

I failed on everything I tried between 6c and 7b+ if that helps. I did rather well in the pub afterwards though.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#267 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 19, 2009, 09:44:11 pm
I can neither confirm or deny that idle mongese on the subject of quickdraw theft is more entertaining than working on the cannelloni line for Dr Oetker...

:yawn:

Franco

• menacing presence
#268 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 09:11:42 am

Franco, apologies if this comes across as harsh but you are a cock. Which planet did you grow up on where stealing other people's gear was ok?

The Moors.

So you find a jammed nut that someone couldn't get out. How could you possibly confuse that with a crag covered in quickdraws? Did you think that someone had been unable to retrieve all their gear off Mecca or something? You can't play the "I didn't understand sport climbing" card unless you are wanting to prove that you are not only a thief but also completely retarded. Fuckwit.
[/quote]

Like I say, these days I wouldn't do it. If I was at stanage by myself though and right unconquerable had 6 bits of gear in and there was evidently noone around; i'd come back the next day and strip the gear. I believe the Qds were actually in 'Sardine' in this case and I just assumed someone had for some reason had to escape off as it seemed a bit of an abandoned place, sans people.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#269 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 10:33:38 am
as it seemed a bit of an abandoned place

Rather like the space between your eyes sans brain.

abarro81

• forum hero
#270 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 10:35:30 am
If there were 6 bits of gear in a grit route that's not crag swag - that's someone getting injured or something else bad happening meaning they had to bail, not just they couldn't be arsed to get a wire out or something. If you strip it in that situation you should be posting on ukc and leaving a note in outside to tell the guys that you've got their gear and will return it.. There's a difference between 'they lowered off a wire and krab at gogarth and couldn#t be arsed to spend 2 hours finding the top of the route to abb down' and 'they/their mate must ahve got fucked because noone would leave that much gear in a route which is easy to strip. I hope your posts are just a wind up, but i fear not.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#271 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 12:06:54 pm
If Scotty posts on this thread will it be moved out of the shit heap?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#272 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 12:12:36 pm

Is he posting the video?

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#273 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 12:18:09 pm
I can confirm that I saw lagers leaving the plantation, but I didn't get a photo.

Bugger, it was windy - I should have listened  ::)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#274 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 20, 2009, 12:37:17 pm
If Scotty posts on this thread will it be moved out of the shit heap?
+1 vote against.

If there is a clear, uncontroversial news report of someone ascending something significant, then it should be posted as a news thread as usual. Simple.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal