UKBouldering.com

Traktor Pro (Read 7377 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Traktor Pro
December 20, 2008, 11:44:06 am

http://www.native-instruments.com/traktormicrosite/

All I can say is that this software is fucking amazing.

Can't see me ever going back to vinyl after using this for a little while, I can do so much more with this than I ever could with vinyl.

Would love to try it with a top controller like the Vestax VCI-100 but even just using my M-Audio X-Session Pro and my mouse/keyboard it's more than awesome.

I'm fully converted to digital mixing, it really is the way forward.

Here's Mr Hawtin's setup:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:17:41 pm by Bubba »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Traktor Pro
July 12, 2009, 06:10:15 pm
I want his MIDI controllers and monitors, I'll take his Mac's too while I'm at it.

Can you explain beatmapping for me please?  Briefly.  I'm just wondering what the other half use, ha ha, I'm OK at warping tracks in Ableton now, but it's taken a while...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Traktor Pro
July 12, 2009, 07:18:11 pm

They're called "Beat Grids" in Traktor

Have a watch of this:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Traktor Pro
September 23, 2009, 12:23:29 pm

Latest version (v1.2.1) of Traktor Pro is fantastic.

Even on my aging PC using Asio4All instead of a real 2 channel soundcard it works flawlessly.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4 Re: Traktor Pro
September 23, 2009, 07:45:11 pm
Just upgraded my ancient version of Traktor to Traktor pro at the weekend and had a dabble on Sunday.  Have to agree Bubbs it's well good... And I've barely scratched the surface.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Traktor Pro
September 23, 2009, 07:51:21 pm

I just want to get a really nice controller like the Vestax VCI-100 to go with it now.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#6 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 12:18:30 pm
I agree about wanting a new controller now that I've upgraded to Traktor 1.2. i currently use a UC33 Evolution which was fine originally but with the new FX and other options that the new version gives you, there's just not enough options on the controller anymore.

Has anyone got any reccommendations, other than the above, for a full conbtroller, am seriously considering shelling out for an Allen & Heath Xzone but just wondered if there was anything else out there that will do the job at a reasonable price. I know there's a link now on the NI website for Traktor compatible systems, but has anyone got any experience of them?

What controller do you use Bubba?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 12:29:50 pm

I've just got a M-Audio X-Session Pro at the moment. It's ok but a bit limited really and the faders aren't up to the standard of a real mixer. Also since I grew up on vinyl I'd like something with some platters like the VCI-100, then I'd use the X-Session as an effects controller.

Was tempted by the M-Audio Xponent for a while but it seems the build quality is really hit and miss so won't consider it until v2.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#8 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 12:36:35 pm
Cheers!

Am I right in saying that another benefit of the new Traktor 1.2 is that in the controller manager setting you can use multiple controllers to control different parameters? Ie use my UC33 for FX and looping only, and something like you're talking about, preferably with some jog wheels, to control deck parameters? Or am I just making this up and have misunderstood the NI website?

I'm really enjoying playing on Traktor at the moment, seem to learn a new trick every time I practise which is great. Still pretty new to it though, you got any top tips that you can think of that I wouldn't have worked out myself, particularly as I have little or no background with vinyl.

Cheers
Gus

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#9 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 12:37:36 pm
sorry, just realised should probably use the "what's this" thread from now on!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 12:44:02 pm
Am I right in saying that another benefit of the new Traktor 1.2 is that in the controller manager setting you can use multiple controllers to control different parameters? Ie use my UC33 for FX and looping only, and something like you're talking about, preferably with some jog wheels, to control deck parameters? Or am I just making this up and have misunderstood the NI website?
Aye, you can use multiple controllers - very handy.

I'm really enjoying playing on Traktor at the moment, seem to learn a new trick every time I practise which is great. Still pretty new to it though, you got any top tips that you can think of that I wouldn't have worked out myself, particularly as I have little or no background with vinyl.
I'm the same tbh - learning each time I use it. It's probably better coming at these new technologies without having used vinyl - less hangups that way :)

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#11 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 04:03:06 pm
Just wonder whether it's worth waiting out for a while, as most of the main players are teaming up with ableton and serato to produce custom controllers, I'd hate to commit to one just for them to bring out a custom controller for Traktor Pro!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Traktor Pro
October 09, 2009, 06:22:07 pm
I like look of the VCI-100 though and it's been proven to work well with Traktor. The unofficial "SE" version looks great - have a look at this: http://techtools.myshopify.com/products/vci-100se

Vestax already do the VCI-300 for Serato Itch and the M-Audio Xponent is supposed to be used with Torq (but can be remapped for Traktor).

Looks like NI themselves might be coming out with a controller

And this new one for Serato Itch looks interesting (though expensive).

The problem is, you can wait on forever. I think you need to choose your software platform and then go with what is around. I definitely prefer Traktor over Ableton for DJing - not tried Itch but it's not meant to be as good as Traktor.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#13 Re: Traktor Pro
October 10, 2009, 11:46:23 am
That video of Richie is ace, using that maschine software as a drum machine looks fun!

The new allen and heath dx looks good but at that price you might as well up sell to the 3d or 4d, I'd hate to spend all that money and still not have the control I wanted!

There's a good point raised on the forum that says go out and buy a good value controller with loads of buttons and faders, as you'll be able to make it do most things and the quality is in the software not the hardware! wise man!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal