UKBouldering.com

significant repeats (Read 4341863 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6900 Re: significant repeats
May 06, 2016, 12:16:41 pm
Barbara Zangerl has repeated Dave Macs Achemine E9 (8b) https://www.instagram.com/p/BFCn0ToTXh1/

What a wadess. Really impressive. Is this the first repeat?

Good luck to them on Requiem.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube

tomtom

• forum hero
#6902 Re: significant repeats
May 06, 2016, 02:45:30 pm
Barbara Zangerl has repeated Dave Macs Achemine E9 (8b) https://www.instagram.com/p/BFCn0ToTXh1/
A bit more info here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=70435

The only extra is some description from Dave M - the rest is ripped wholesale from the instagram page..

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#6903 Re: significant repeats
May 06, 2016, 02:50:34 pm
A bit more info here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=70435

The only extra is some description from Dave M - the rest is ripped wholesale from the instagram page..
I did say a bit... Also there's some interesting bits of her previous exploits which I didn't know  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#6904 Re: significant repeats
May 06, 2016, 02:53:34 pm
:) Great repeat though!

JMB

• regular
#6905 Re: significant repeats
May 08, 2016, 07:27:41 pm
From the other channel, Jacopo Larcher makes the 5th ascent of Rhapsody:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=70443

On the topic of Eurowads at Dumbarton Rock, PlanetMountain has some additional info about Barbara Zangerl's ascent of Achemine, which makes a casual mention of the fact that she quickly climbing Requiem before working on Achemine:

http://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/climbing/barbara-zangerl-repeats-achemine-at-dumbarton-rock-scotlands-first-e9.html

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6906 Re: significant repeats
May 08, 2016, 07:32:30 pm
Gabri Moroni did Practice of the Wild!
It's on 8a.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6907 Re: significant repeats
May 09, 2016, 09:29:24 am
Wads rock climbing in Scotland, is this another of those Climb the Classics missions?

csl

• junky
#6908 Re: significant repeats
May 09, 2016, 08:50:07 pm
Just got the Moon newsletter - it had this paragraph

"After a remarkable career including the world’s first 9a (“Hubble”), last year Ben Moon achieved what many thought to be impossible by repeating the climb over 20 years after its first ascent."

Did Ben Moon re-climb Hubble last year?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6909 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 07:56:42 am
Followed the link through to the website and it says:

"After a remarkable career including the World’s first 9a “Hubble”, last year, 25 years after climbing his first 9a, Ben Moon climbed his 2nd 9a “Rainshadow”."

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6910 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 08:05:10 am
 :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6911 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 10:03:47 am
Is that actually grammar or just using the wrong word, i.e. "climb" instead of "grade"??

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6912 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 10:14:54 am
The omission of the commas from that which csl wrote makes a difference to how you read.  Omit the commas around the "last year" and you would think that it is saying that Hubble was climbed last year...

"After a remarkable career including the world’s first 9a (“Hubble”), last year

... but then they also changed the subsequent wording from that which is on the blog post (its as fatneck copy and pasted it). 

Ben Moon achieved what many thought to be impossible by repeating the climb over 20 years after its first ascent."

Of course this could be how it was written in the newsletter itself rather than the blog, but I got the impression the newsletters (which I used to receive) were automatically generated from blog posts, although the later may have been subsequently modified.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#6913 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 01:32:32 pm
Of course, what's really significant here, is that nothing has changed over the past quarter of a century or more.

If you find you can't cut it on Peak lime, you go to Yorkshire where everything's easier.

Strangely, there are those who still try to claim that the climbing is simply better in Yorkshire, but everyone knows that that's rubbish.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#6914 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 01:36:47 pm
Strangely, there are those who still try to claim that the climbing is simply better in Yorkshire, but everyone knows that that's rubbish.

It's an absolute tottering pile of choss. Steer clear if I were you.

csl

• junky
#6915 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 02:15:10 pm
The omission of the commas from that which csl wrote makes a difference to how you read.  Omit the commas around the "last year" and you would think that it is saying that Hubble was climbed last year...

... but then they also changed the subsequent wording from that which is on the blog post (its as fatneck copy and pasted it). 

Ben Moon achieved what many thought to be impossible by repeating the climb over 20 years after its first ascent."

Of course this could be how it was written in the newsletter itself rather than the blog, but I got the impression the newsletters (which I used to receive) were automatically generated from blog posts, although the later may have been subsequently modified.

What made you think I rewrote this and made a mistake? It was copy and pasted verbatim from the email newsletter, it was obviously different than the blog, hence the confusion. 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6916 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 03:28:22 pm

What made you think I rewrote this and made a mistake? It was copy and pasted verbatim from the email newsletter, it was obviously different than the blog, hence the confusion.

This is perhaps the most significant thing that has ever happened in UKB's history. What has happened here is that, in his fervour to post a mildly amusing internet meme to this thread, the Slackbot, the most advanced biocomputer in the known universe, has made a mistake.
This creates an interesting paradox since it is physically, literally, and absolutely impossibly for the Slackbot to be incorrect about anything at all.

What we are about to witness is how the Slackbot's circuitry copes with this impossible paradigm. My money is on a long series of posts that posit that the Slackbot is actually correct and we just can't see it because we operate on a different quantum plain. These posts will continue until either everybody else stops suggesting that Slackbot got it wrong, or until the end of time itself, whichever is sooner. The coming days and months should be very illuminating.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#6917 Re: significant repeats
May 11, 2016, 06:01:04 pm
There is no time.

Init.

In Unix-based computer operating systems, init (short for initialization) is the first process started during booting of the computer system. Init is a daemon process that continues running until the system is shut down.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6918 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 11:06:18 am
I hear Pete Chadwick has climbed his first 8b+ at Malham! Any details? Not sure if it's hugely significant but he is nearly 50... #wad

Doylo

• forum hero
#6919 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 11:27:17 am
I hear Pete Chadwick has climbed his first 8b+ at Malham! Any details? Not sure if it's hugely significant but he is nearly 50... #wad

Great Escape, Malham. Old skool Brit doing his first 8b+ at 49 is definitely worth a mention.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6920 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 11:44:00 am

Great Escape, Malham. Old skool Brit doing his first 8b+ at 49 is definitely worth a mention.

for late starters it's bloody inspiring

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#6921 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 03:51:21 pm
Made my day reading this. Old school me has known Pete for over 30 years :)  Totally awesome and inspiring. The first of many me thinks :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6922 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 03:53:14 pm
Proper nice guy too, had the pleasure of working with him in the last few years. Total hero! :weakbench:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6923 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 04:05:16 pm
I think he's a dick, I've got no excuses now ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6924 Re: significant repeats
May 16, 2016, 04:15:46 pm
I think he's a dick, I've got no excuses now ;)

I can't stop crying.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal