UKBouldering.com

making beats sound old & dulled (Read 10043 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 07:54:59 pm
For example like Boards of Canada would use, to give an organic, chilled out sound to beats? I'm guessing it'd be done by EQing out some high-end stuff but is reverb used for it at all?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 08:17:10 pm
Andi,

BOC actually use a shitload of analogue equipment to write, record and produce their music which is why it sounds so unique.  Loads of producers run through an analogue compressor for specific instruments and then at mastering.  Some even master to 2" tape and then back into logic or pro-tools.

If you want a cheap and easy route here's some tips:

- Lower the bitrate on your samples - they'll give you that grainy sound.
- Use bandpass filters not EQ - using a high pass filter and a mid pass filter is a good way to get that muffled underwater sound.
- Sample a loop of crackly runout grooves from an old lp and loop it in an adjacent track or through the envelope of whatever signal you're processing.
- Re-record your synths or samples "live" through a valve guitar amp and really good microphone.

Basically to get something sounding warm and analogue you need to do it analogue or get as close as possible.

As for reverb, use it sparingly on some lead tracks and then apply a warm room when mastering.

Hope that helps

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 08:21:04 pm
There's a few ways.  You could use a banded compression/EQ and dim down whichever areas give it sparkle (usually high end).  As FD says, filter do the job well after a bit of messing about.  A bit of reverb will give you a bit of depth and a feeling of space if you do it well.  I sent you a VST a while back that would work well, forgot the name.
Introducing some shuffle to the beat will often give it a friendlier feel.  This can work well even by adding it to only one or two components.

Essentially fuck about for hours and see what works.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#3 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 08:26:08 pm
Just had a quick listen and for some parts it sounds like they're using hi and lo-pass filters to limit the bandwidth. I don't think you'd want to use that for a whole track, but you could try a 400hz hi-pass and 4khz lo-pass filter for a break and then slide it out to full-range. As for reverbs I'd try short room and plate 'verbs, stay away from the halls.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#4 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 08:38:05 pm
Just listened to some more and a lot of their drums are quite dry and upfront so I might stay away from the reverb altogether. There's also a lot of low mid and some soft distortion, there's VST plugin that I can't remember the name of that simulates analogue tape EQ and saturation, try that.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 08:42:30 pm
there's VST plugin that I can't remember the name of that simulates analogue tape EQ and saturation, try that.

That's the one I sent ya, Andi.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 08:43:40 pm
Serpico: Yeah I thought a room or a warm plate (KarmaFX which I use has a lot of warm rooms and plates which is good), and I agree that the low-pass and high-pass should be applied to the beats only otherwise it would detract from other parts.

Falling Down: I did read somewhere that BoC used mostly analogue which definitely gives them their distinctive sound, but unfortunately all I have is a laptop! I'll definitely try some of those ideas though, thanks! I know you can get analogue softsynths (yeah, I know...) so can you get an analogue processing VST?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 09:08:25 pm
You're obviously way beyond the stage of worrying about how to use software x and such that some of us n00bs are at .

:-[  Aw shucks...

:off:

I have to put it down to the hours of mind numbing time spent in guitar bands recording to 4 tracks in rehearsal rooms and then 16 tracks in Sheffield recording studios cutting demos and records in the 80's and 90's.

I pretty much packed in recording electronic music 4 or 5 years ago and have sold most of my stuff (although I have some good gear left to go to a good home - separate thread methinks) 'cos I was really just playing at it and it was taking a lot of my time up even though I did probably write some good material.  I now focus any music time I have into playing my acoustic guitar and even the banjo I bought was a bit of an indulgence.

If I can offer any words of advice to anyone getting into electronic music is to really set a budget and a limit of equipment and use what you have to the best of your ability rather than pursuing plugin after plugin or softsynth after softsynth.  The piece that I wrote that attracts the most attention in the climbing community is the Northumberland section on StickIt which was recorded in about 4 hours using a technics 1210, a sony minidisc, a cheap hardware sampler and a hardware sequencer - loads of people think it was DJ Food or Coldcut.

I write this not to discourage but to encourage anyone to just screw around with what they have and learn some of the craft and science as well as playing around with stuff.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#8 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 21, 2008, 09:22:54 pm
Falling Down: I did read somewhere that BoC used mostly analogue which definitely gives them their distinctive sound, but unfortunately all I have is a laptop!

Don't try and emulate their sound then 'cos you'll just beat yourself up over it. If you listen to their early stuff on Skam and EP's like Twoism you can hear a much more limited palate, even MHTRTC is much narrower than Geogaddi or Campfire Headphase which probably had a huge budget in terms of equipment and time.

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 22, 2008, 12:04:57 am
Oh aye, I think I asked you for a copy of the Northumberland bit off Stick It but I never got it  :(

In terms of emulating styles, I wasn't wanting to get too bogged down with producing their exact sound- that would be un-original- but rather produce a sound that sounded lazy and organic because that's what I'm into right now. (The kind of thing I'm into right now is pretty much Slow This Bird Down which is a beautiful tune!)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 22, 2008, 08:03:13 am
You're obviously way beyond the stage of worrying about how to use software x and such that some of us n00bs are at .

:-[  Aw shucks...

:off:
Sorry FD, I deleted my post before I realised you'd replied!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#11 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 23, 2008, 02:33:07 pm
No probs Bubba.

Andi - Have you tried experimenting with composing in a different key or scale? Writing in a minor key will add a wistful melancholy air.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 23, 2008, 03:54:08 pm
Or use an interesting mode, some of those suckers are weird.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 23, 2008, 04:41:19 pm
Saw this on another forum:

"Then i added a lot of delay, EQ, filter etc..., but the main thing that will make any instrument sound like Boards of Canada is the free vst called "Wow and Flutter". I use it all the time to give my synths that bit of "volnurability"."

andy_e

• forum hero
#14 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 23, 2008, 06:36:57 pm
I write everything in minor key anyway  :'(

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#15 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 23, 2008, 07:25:47 pm
I forgot to add that the best way to get that woozy sound that BOC have is to apply an Oscillator envelope to the tuning parameter of one or more of the signals in a synth pad or sample. It gives that queezy feeling

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
November 24, 2008, 12:18:12 pm
Do you mean like applying an LFO to the oscillator's pitch or something? Talk to me in terms of z3ta+  ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
December 18, 2008, 12:47:17 am
http://www.speedyshare.com/410533825.html

There we go. Beats processed through an analogue tape simulator called Grungelizer, plus some EQing (high-cut) and a warm plate.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: making beats sound old & dulled
December 18, 2008, 07:27:51 am
Cool, you found Grungelizer then?  Still not found my copy :lol:
It's a fun bit of VSTi, does some interesting sounds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal