UKBouldering.com

[ableton] Creating a mix in Ableton Live (Read 8885 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
[ableton] Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 16, 2008, 05:18:10 pm
This is a good tutorial to teach you the basics of how to start mixing with Live. It's for v5 but you can still follow it for v7.
http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/07/how-to-make-a-dj-mix-set-using-ableton-live.html

And this one goes into a little more depth covering looping, etc.
http://vinkalmann.com/VINKALMANN_Guide_to_Arrangement_View_Mixing.pdf

Also see the Ableton tips pages: http://www.ableton.com/pages/tips/home
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:30:22 am by Bubba »

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 16, 2008, 06:39:01 pm
Good knowledge, ta.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 18, 2008, 08:56:52 pm
Crumbs, that arrangement view mixing seems so OTT.

I mix w/ a MIDI controller: seat-of-the-pants, making it up as I go along, easing tracks in and out w/ bass, middle and treble knobs.

It seems strikes me as being a healthier way to learn; mistakes being inevitable.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 18, 2008, 11:06:57 pm
How do you get things in time? the snares are always out or something. How do you bump it into place?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 19, 2008, 12:55:12 am

Yeah, almost all the tracks I import need the warp markers moving or the start point changing. Once you've done that then you could happily mix with them but it wouldn't work well without that initial stage as Ableton sometimes gets it horribly wrong.

It probably depends on the music though - i've only been playing with Dubstep so far; I imagine that Techno tracks get imported with the markers set more correctly due to their (generally) more obvious kick drum.

Anyway, i've had years of traditional mixing, it's quite interesting to do something which feels is a little more like production :)

I wonder if any of the other software such as Traktor/Torq/etc would be better for live DJing?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 12:17:52 am
Most of the improvements w/ ableton so far have been in production-mode.  Soon, the firm will catch up and start realizing DJ recommendations:  eg, allowing the warp markers to be labelled (start kicks, pads, etc..).

As a live tool, ableton gives you the most bang for your buck.  I've heard it said that Logic offers more for production, but it's much harder to get aquainted w/.

As a total package, ableton kicks ass.  Especially if it's a cracked copy.  8)   :spank:

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 03:51:36 pm
labelled warp markers? how about just knowing the tune instead?  :P

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#7 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 04:10:52 pm
Well, that's all well and good, in theory.

In a club situation (w/ pressure to perform and - one would imagine - the presence of alcohol et al) I could imagine scenarios when a marker might be useful, especially if you were trying something particularly convoluted or one wanted to showcase new and unfamiliar material.  Surgeon, for example, may have up to 7 or 8 channels at any one time playing; and you can be certain he'll have 1000+ tracks to choose from at any one time on his HD.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 04:34:09 pm

I can see it being useful for some forms of music.

Tried mixing some Techno on the fly just now and AL (i'm fed up with typing ableton) still gets it wrong a lot. It always gets it close, but by no means always right. Is there some way of "nudging" a track on the fly? That would help a lot.

I'm starting to really like AL but I think you have to just accept that any track you want to use will have to have been already been "markered up"...but that's ok, it's only like having to clean vinyl or something.

Need to try Traktor/Torq and see how they compare for live mixing.

andy_e

• forum hero
#9 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 04:35:24 pm
I've got loads and loads of tracks that I'll play on a regular basis- probably 200+ - and I always know when they drop/reach 16/32/64 bars etc...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#10 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 05:03:52 pm
I used to use Tractor a few years ago and it was great for live work and very accurate for beat markers and looping. I've not touched it for years so I imagine it's way better now.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#11 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 05:11:43 pm

AL (i'm fed up with typing ableton) still gets it wrong a lot.

Never heard/experienced this.  Sounds like poorly warped tracks?  *guess*

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 05:20:46 pm
That's my point - AL doesn't (often) warp properly without prior user input. Not that impressive when something "amateur" like Mixmeister gets it right most of the time.

So you can't just drag any old track in and expect it to work. Not very good in a live situation.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 20, 2008, 07:55:52 pm
I wasn't aware Ableton warped tracks without prior user input  ???

You can play anything you want, you just have to warp it correctly and if it can't be warped to work 4/4 it must be edited.  For example, find RECHENZENTRUM ~ IBM (on the Peel Seesions CD.  Kitty Yo Recs, Berlin).  This needs serious work to make it viable amongst 4/4 but it can be done.  Half way through the track it goes nuts.

Such is life, one must work (a little) for the best results.

If you have specific questions put them here and I'll ask my mates Horror Brawl who DJ on two linked laptops live.  If they can't answer your questions maybe Richie Hawtin can  :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Creating a mix in Ableton Live
November 22, 2008, 09:16:24 am
Need to try Traktor/Torq and see how they compare for live mixing.

I used to use Tractor a few years ago and it was great for live work and very accurate for beat markers and looping. I've not touched it for years so I imagine it's way better now.

I've not tried Torq but Traktor Pro is fantastic - will be much better for live DJing than AL - simple looping, effects and a great user interface. 

I'll use Traktor for messing about and playing music and AL for creating mixtapes, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal