UKBouldering.com

Da Matrix (Read 3729 times)

dave

Da Matrix
October 29, 2002, 10:02:19 am
Aaaaaye.

As you all probably know Shef Uni have opened a bouldering wall at the Goodwin Centre. Now I keep hearing conflicting info regarding the use of teh wall by the general public. Despite being told otherwise via word of mouth, I was told on the phone by U-Sport that it deffinetly was NOT open the the general public. They said you either had to be a student, member of staff, Gym member (£25 a month) or a guest of one of the above. :crazy:

So has anyone been in there, or spoken to anyone in person about it? Whats the deal, and why do non of the staff there have a consistent line on public use?  I only want to know cos i can get there from my front door in about 2 minutes so would be usefull.....

Rizpek.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 Da Matrix
October 29, 2002, 08:48:23 pm
Yes mate, i went up for a session on Saturday and was turned away after admitting i am not a student any more. However, it doesn't seem like they do any checks - i say that as i'd filled in the form and almost handed in my money when i saw a box i'd not completed that says Alumni, Alumni (1st year), Student, Staff and asked them what i should put as I was none of the above, at which point i got kicked out.

Before i went though i had a look in, the wall is in an old squash court (or something of that size) and whilst the construction of it looks really good - dark browny colour, four walls, matted all of the floor - theres a lack of much steep stuff and the holds are all massive and really incut - obviously it depends on your level, but if you're climbing v5 & 6 then i think you're better off spending your hard earned at the Foundry.

In addition its full of students climbing in trainers = grubby holds, 0% chance of hard stuff.

Clearly all this is my point of view and you really shouldn't take anyones word for it. Go, blag your way in - make of it what you will...

dave

#2 Da Matrix
October 30, 2002, 08:47:57 am
Yeah, i belive they're marketing it as "as fun way to tone bum and thighs" for the gym punters. Wise choice........NOT.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal