UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1516208 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6025 Re: Da News
July 29, 2015, 03:35:46 pm
My point Matt was that its not the wishes of the dead, its the wish of the sane living person.

I say sane.

rodma

• forum hero
#6026 Re: Da News
July 29, 2015, 09:25:54 pm
I suppose I have mixed feelings about the concept of "property", "ownership" etc and how that pertains to death.
Which certainly shades me a little red. Orange, more precisely.
Why Should the wishes of the dead be relevant to anything really?

Because it's an incentive to deal with your property carefully and reasonably whilst you're alive. Otherwise, if you don't like what you suspect might be done with your property after death you might be tempted to blow the lot before you go.
That'd sort the economy out for a few years at least, It'd be like the late 1990s all over again
:D

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#6027 Re: Da News
August 05, 2015, 11:17:47 am
With a brief skim read of the judgment, the law that the appellant left out of the will can apply to obtain a maintenance dates back at least to the statute of 1975.

So it isn't that the judge has exercised a discretion to overrule the will to include the daughter - that's been enshrined in law for at least the last 40 years. The original judge simply misused his discretion as he took into account the appellant's state benefits where the Court of Appeal deems that he shouldn't have. Seems like the media has seized on and spun something that is rather old news.

Dense, regarding precedent, that's how the English 'common law' system works. Lower courts are bound to follow decisions of higher courts where the subject matter and law are materially the same. If a High Court judge decides something on a point of law, county court judges are bound to do the same where the facts are materially the same. In fact, much of the work of a court lawyer is arguing that the facts do or do not fit into a particular precedent, or that another precedent is more relevant. A Court of Appeal decision must be followed by High Court judges and all lower courts, and is only trumped by the House of Lords (now Supreme Court).

This makes the system efficient rather than every case being subject to the whims of the court at the time. Where a precedent leads to an outcome that is unpalatable with the social morals of the time, it could get appealed to the House of Lords for review (who might find a clever way around it), or else it falls to the government to write a new statute / Act of Parliament to bring the law into line with what society expects.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6028 Re: Da News
August 05, 2015, 07:37:23 pm
Cheers for that concise explanation rocksteady  ;D

My original outrage/incredulity was from a position of ignorance  ;) I wasn't aware that the mother was barking and since nothing was said on that fact for a bit I just descended into madness. Consider Dantes inferno but the levels were more and more amounts of money being burned by your own younger and younger children all laughing harder and harder the further up you got. With myself on top, a broken man, wailing at all the ruination they had brought me.
In my own defence I did say "sane" a couple of times.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6029 Re: Da News
August 05, 2015, 10:34:16 pm

Cheers for that concise explanation rocksteady  ;D

My original outrage/incredulity was from a position of ignorance  ;) I wasn't aware that the mother was barking and since nothing was said on that fact for a bit I just descended into madness. Consider Dantes inferno but the levels were more and more amounts of money being burned by your own younger and younger children all laughing harder and harder the further up you got. With myself on top, a broken man, wailing at all the ruination they had brought me.
In my own defence I did say "sane" a couple of times.

<bemused emoticon>

Teaboy

• forum hero

andy popp

• forum hero
#6031 Re: Da News
August 13, 2015, 05:17:49 pm
But then again, it is East Anglia

andy_e

• forum hero
#6032 Re: Da News
August 13, 2015, 05:25:23 pm
Have you seen the other news stories on that site? For example, "Joy as lorry overtakes lorry in under a mile"...

tomtom

• forum hero
#6033 Re: Da News
August 13, 2015, 06:02:01 pm
Very much a spoof... Amusing but it's not the mash..

Teaboy

• forum hero
#6034 Re: Da News
August 14, 2015, 10:36:32 am
Fuck me, I am a plum  :chair:

I'm now thinking the interview I heard on the radio last night was also a spoof, a female publican was talking about the flooding she'd endured "I had eight inches in my function room tonight"

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6035 Re: Da News
August 14, 2015, 12:42:34 pm
BBC Radio Solent have bred Wayne's World's Garth with Alan Partridge to create local radio's most out of touch presenter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33904758

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6036 Re: Da News
September 09, 2015, 07:07:03 pm
I am constantly amazed at the level of luxury we indulge in this country.

I had no idea that there are two and a bit Morrison's convenience stores for each and everyone of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6037 Re: Da News
September 09, 2015, 08:44:48 pm
Joking aside, yesterday in Glasgow I cycled to, and then past 9 sainsbury and tesco shit-hole city centre pizza&burger fests to a proper sized supermarket just to find puff pastry. It's not exactly fucking exotic. Why do we need all these identical, junk food, oversized convenience stores?

:furious:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6038 Re: Da News
September 09, 2015, 09:51:32 pm
Yep, here in St Marychurch (an erstwhile village swallowed by the Torbay sprawl) the shops have been replaced, over the last year or so; by "Minimarts" of Co-op, a Sainsbury and an independent (Happy Apple).
I can't imagine how they manage to be profitable, they are less than a minutes walk from each other and only five minutes walk from a full size Waitrose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6039 Re: Da News
September 09, 2015, 11:01:09 pm
Big out of town supermarkets => death of the small shops => unoccupied space => big supermarkets swoopin and open small versions on the cheap.

We all lose choice and variety.  :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6040 Re: Da News
September 09, 2015, 11:29:48 pm
There are now (at least) 5 Sainsburys in Aberdeen city centre. Plus numerous other Tesco, Co-op etc. When I first moved here there was a single Somerfield.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6041 Re: Da News
September 10, 2015, 07:20:31 am
Unlike independent businesses I expect profit is also considered on a chain- not just premises-basis when considering viability. It would then make sense to occupy a less profitable lease to prevent rivals getting market share, surely?

dave

#6042 Re: Da News
September 10, 2015, 08:44:01 am
Big out of town supermarkets => death of the small shops => unoccupied space => big supermarkets swoopin and open small versions on the cheap.

We all lose choice and variety.  :wall:

I don't think this is necessarily true. There's plenty of places, Sheffield specifically, where we have loads of big supermarkets in the suburbs but also what seems to me a thriving set of local independent shops, which seems to have settled down once all the shit ones have gone. Plenty of shoppers these days appreciate that you are getting a different product and shopping experience at a local independant rather than a supermarket.

What seems to be the issue in many cases is landlords forcing out local independants by randomly cranking up the rent to force independents out of what they see to be lucrative units. I've seen this happen numerous times in Sheffield, often accompanied by local outrage, petitions being signed etc. For instance, in walkley a nice local bakery in an old bank unit was at one point going to be forced out to make way for a Tesco. In Broomhill they were trying to force out a local hardware store to make way for a Sainsburys. In most cases the current inhabitants of the unit are doing fine and don't want to move. The landlords hold the reigns.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6043 Re: Da News
September 10, 2015, 08:53:57 am
It would then make sense to occupy a less profitable lease to prevent rivals getting market share, surely?

This is the approach taken by Starbucks etc.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6044 Re: Da News
September 10, 2015, 09:59:56 am

Unlike independent businesses I expect profit is also considered on a chain- not just premises-basis when considering viability. It would then make sense to occupy a less profitable lease to prevent rivals getting market share, surely?

Yes, but the Morrisons sale would suggest this strategy is flawed?

Along with much of the Supermarket industry, which seems to be descending  into  a pit of profit warnings and closures...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6045 Re: Da News
September 10, 2015, 05:45:40 pm
I guess limiting the opposition is only the start.

After that you have to sell stuff people want to buy.

andy_e

• forum hero

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6047 Re: Da News
September 23, 2015, 09:20:29 pm
That was a strange read  :-\

andy_e

• forum hero
#6048 Re: Da News
September 23, 2015, 09:31:48 pm
Very.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6049 Re: Da News
September 23, 2015, 09:33:02 pm
That was a strange read  :-\

Bet you're glad they changed your name in the article though Dence?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal