UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1524613 times)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#5675 Re: Da News
September 30, 2014, 04:14:26 pm
Protests HK style: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29423147

Pretty interesting scene down on the ground though - can't see many places in the world where you get thousands of people protesting against the Government and yet not one incident of looting / vandalism etc.  Lets just hope the tanks don't come rolling in this time (there's some stationed in the PLA barracks just around the corner...)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5676 Re: Da News
September 30, 2014, 04:22:17 pm
It's pretty amazing really. As you say, let's just hope it doesn't turn nasty.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5677 Re: Da News
September 30, 2014, 04:26:33 pm
http://www.climbing.co.za/2014/09/huge-rescue-operation-save-trapped-man/

72 hours in South Africa. Rustenburg is where I grew up, and used to wander around the Kloof a lot in my youth. Luckily never saw any snakes though, only baboons.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#5678 Re: Da News
September 30, 2014, 04:39:11 pm
It's pretty amazing really. As you say, let's just hope it doesn't turn nasty.

Another Tian a men moment wil have massive consequences for the aborad (in the short term at least)

The question is do they fear internal consequences more than external consequences (and the external consequences wil have internal effects too)?

I think the best solution is a messy compromise, but the genie is out of the bottle for China and as the economy moves towards services / higher value production I can't see the current political settlement surviving.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5679 Re: Da News
September 30, 2014, 05:49:46 pm
Had this pop up on my Twitter feed earlier....

Under the heading "HK protests descend into Violins"...

😜 

Sloper

• forum hero
#5680 Re: Da News
October 01, 2014, 05:39:31 pm
Public servant has no sense of humour, satire or appreciation of art. cvnts

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-29446232

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5681 Re: Da News
October 11, 2014, 11:35:43 pm
Not sure where to put this but it follows previous posts about Israel-Palestine.

BBC2: The Gatekeepers

Unbelievable film. Six former heads of Shin Bet talk to camera. Watch it.

Ami Ayalon. Razor sharp.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:42:23 pm by mrjonathanr »

petejh

• forum hero
#5682 Re: Da News
October 12, 2014, 12:06:32 am
Yeah this was remarkable. The most clear-eyed commentary on fighting terrorism - and in the process creating a target for hate - I think I've ever seen, straight from inside the minds of those who spent years not just 'at the coalface' but running the mine. The debate afterwards was also decent and notches above the usual party-line tripe doled out by self-interested politicians.
Talking of whom, if only something like this film had been released at the time the cunt Blair was deceiving his way into invading Iraq.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5683 Re: Da News
October 16, 2014, 11:06:39 am
Not exactly news.

But what a commentary on British life.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5684 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 10:19:17 am
This isn't new, but it bears repeating. Again and again and again.

If you are disabled, there's no social contract, you are not to be cared for.

This is what this administration does, there's no doubt to give the benefit of.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/24/iain-duncan-smith-disabled-ms-parkinsons-dwp

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5685 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 02:24:25 pm
That's shocking

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5686 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 05:14:41 pm
Not sure where to put this but it follows previous posts about Israel-Palestine.

Ami Ayalon. Razor sharp.

Bollocks, just saw this post and it's no longer available. 

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5687 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 06:09:36 pm

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5688 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 06:27:11 pm
That's shocking

I'm pleased you said that.. In my view they've been gunning for the disabled from the off..
Remploy - shut
Back to work with ATOS -countless reclasified according to tick box criteria, not full medical assessment... successful appeals running at around 40%...this isn't moral behaviour.  There have even been cases reported where someone has been declared fit for work and then died of their condition.

Government should be running the country for the wellbeing of its citizens. If you want the measure of those in charge, look at how they treat those who are weak, vulnerable and poorly placed to fight back.

If you start to look online, you'll quickly find the situation for the disabled is worse than you think, with legislation introduced in October 13 to delay appeals and charges applied to prepare an appeal http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/gps-charge-disabled-up-to-130-to-appeal-fitnesstowork-decisions-8785041.html

Sloper

• forum hero
#5689 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 06:28:17 pm
This isn't new, but it bears repeating. Again and again and again.

If you are disabled, there's no social contract, you are not to be cared for.

This is what this administration does, there's no doubt to give the benefit of.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/24/iain-duncan-smith-disabled-ms-parkinsons-dwp

Would this be the scheme introduced by Labour and administered by contracts signed by Labour? It from reading the article it seems like there were some bizzare decisions made by ATOS, hmm who Labour contracted with and set their criteria and so on.

I can't see any link to any evidence that this is policy introduced by this Government, but never mind, let's just personalise the issue and make out that IDS would if he could get away with it, go around drowning the disabled.

Lazy, ignorant and dishonest prejudice.

But it passes for intelligent comment in some quarters and is obviously worth repeating because you know, those Tories are just plain evil.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5690 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 06:34:48 pm

You are a fool.

Every time something unpleasant about this administration surfaces up you pop with silly whataboutery to talk about Labour.

The actions of this government are the responsibility of this government. Labour is another, also often unpleasant, topic.

That you attempt to defend this immoral and disgusting behaviour by throwing up a smokescreen about Labour says something quite shocking about what you are.

You have my contempt.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5691 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 06:35:01 pm
I don't care about political parties, so have no interest in who said what or started or finished what, thats just morally wrong

Sloper

• forum hero
#5692 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 08:38:26 pm

You are a fool.

Every time something unpleasant about this administration surfaces up you pop with silly whataboutery to talk about Labour.

The actions of this government are the responsibility of this government. Labour is another, also often unpleasant, topic.

That you attempt to defend this immoral and disgusting behaviour by throwing up a smokescreen about Labour says something quite shocking about what you are.

You have my contempt.

Let me guess you're a teacher?

As for the whattaboutery, if the article was predicated on Labour's system being shit and the contracts that they signed being deeply malodorous I would ahve to agree, but that wasn't the thrust of the article.

the thrust of the article was 'look what these unpleasnat scum are doing, they'd be building gas chambers if they could get away with it' and personalising the issue as if this was IDS's personal crusade.

This is both wholly dishonest and prejudiced.

If Labout sign contracts which impose certain terms, protocols & etc which will cost xn £100m to avoid and the Tories decide not to piss a few £100m up the way by continuing those contracts that all to do wit hthis government and nothing to do with the last?  JFCOAB, if you think like that there's really no hope.

I am in no way defending the fuckwittery of some low level staff who are following the protocol put in place, even though in reality they're not exercising proper discretion or reaching sound conclusions, but to personalise this and blame IDS is a bit like me blaming Blair for never climbing 8a.

If you want to attack the government (and there's plenty of good ground on which so to do) at least come up with an argument which attacks their policies and their actions rather than a part of the pile of shit they picked up from the last government.

I'll ignore your attempt at an insult as I can only assume by the vacuity of your comment you're either pissed or your 9 year old has gained access to your UKB account

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5693 Re: Da News
October 25, 2014, 10:51:10 pm

Ami Ayalon. Razor sharp.

Found it on Amazon/Lovefilm.

Utterly brilliant.  To see these men talking openly to camera about their own experiences and their views on the whole situation was quite remarkable.  I'll be encouraging others to watch.

Sloper

• forum hero
#5694 Re: Da News
November 13, 2014, 06:30:12 pm
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/13/swans-walkabout-police-action

I wonder if they used a goose neck to remove them?

(sorry very niche joke)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5695 Re: Da News
November 14, 2014, 11:21:39 pm

Ami Ayalon. Razor sharp.

Found it on Amazon/Lovefilm.

Utterly brilliant.  To see these men talking openly to camera about their own experiences and their views on the whole situation was quite remarkable.  I'll be encouraging others to watch.
Had this on the planner for a while and finally got round to watching it this evening.

Absolutely brilliant and impossible for me to describe in a way that does it justice.

Everyone should see it.

Sloper

• forum hero
#5696 Re: Da News
November 17, 2014, 05:38:44 pm
vox populi, vox dei

It seems that the Tories have finally cracked it with the DailyFailoGram approach, perhaps we'll see them using the line 'lentis give you caner' in Brighton & Bristol.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/17/reckless-vote-will-make-your-home-worth-less-tories-tell-rochester-voters

Sloper

• forum hero

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5698 Re: Da News
November 27, 2014, 01:00:53 pm
Teacher loses job after challenging bullying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30222229

These bloody communists and their opinions, eh? How dare they!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5699 Re: Da News
November 27, 2014, 01:33:48 pm
vox populi, vox dei

It seems that the Tories have finally cracked it with the DailyFailoGram approach, perhaps we'll see them using the line 'lentis give you caner' in Brighton & Bristol.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/17/reckless-vote-will-make-your-home-worth-less-tories-tell-rochester-voters

Well that was a brilliant strategy wasn't it?!

:lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal