UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1523965 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5350 Re: Da News
April 15, 2014, 09:58:53 am
Strange how people change their stance when its them who are affected.

As I understood it, he turned down legal aid...

This happens all the time, people are charged and prosecuted by the CPS and it is up to them to fight it, this is the basis of the justice system. I fear we are in danger of changing the law based on one man's case because he happens to be a public figure with the ear of the press.

The law was changed only two years ago....

battery

• obsessive maniac
#5351 Re: Da News
April 15, 2014, 10:40:51 am
Strange how people change their stance when its them who are affected.

As I understood it, he turned down legal aid...

This happens all the time, people are charged and prosecuted by the CPS and it is up to them to fight it, this is the basis of the justice system. I fear we are in danger of changing the law based on one man's case because he happens to be a public figure with the ear of the press.

The law was changed only two years ago....

From what to what? Not trying to be annoying, genuinely interested and intrigued.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5352 Re: Da News
April 15, 2014, 10:49:16 am

From what to what? Not trying to be annoying, genuinely interested and intrigued.

:google: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=uk+removal+of+legal+aid

Lots of reports in the press from the last year or so, this ones quite recent...

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/01/how-legal-aid-cuts-are-harming-voiceless-and-most-vulnerable

I'll leave any more searching to yourself.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#5353 Re: Da News
April 15, 2014, 11:29:07 am
I didn't know what to google as I wasn't sure which law you were referring to as having changed.

As far as I understand it, the changes to legal aid system would not have impacted upon Nigel Evan's ability to get legal aid, it was a case that he decided that he did not want the representation and once you have made that decision, you can not go back on it once the trial has started.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27007764

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5354 Re: Da News
April 15, 2014, 11:50:18 am
I didn't know what to google as I wasn't sure which law you were referring to as having changed.

As far as I understand it, the changes to legal aid system would not have impacted upon Nigel Evan's ability to get legal aid, it was a case that he decided that he did not want the representation and once you have made that decision, you can not go back on it once the trial has started.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27007764

I didn't really post the first link on this to highlight his decision not to accept legal aid.  Rather that he has changed his opinion on whether funding to legal aid should be cut now that he is seeking reimbursement for his expenses.  He is still entitled to do this, but can only claim upto the amount that legal aid would have provided, perhaps that underpins his shift in attitude as he's realised that the changes to funding would mean that he's entitled to less reimbursement?

Yes it is upto individuals who are charged to fight it, but they are entitled to legal aid.  They are now entitled to less legal aid, whether thats up front or retrospectively seeking reimbursement after having been cleared, thanks to the Government trying to save some cash.

If you're found by a jury to be innocent of the accusation bought against you should you therefore remain out of pocket?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#5355 Re: Da News
April 15, 2014, 12:17:30 pm
Legal aid has been under serious attack since 1997 (and perhaps before but my date of knowledge only runs from then) and defendant costs orders have never come close to the costs of instructing a solicitor and counsel privately.

The reason people do this is that the legal aid rates are so low (and have been for a decade or more) that it's impossible to properly prepare a trial on legal aid rates.

I know a partner in a criminal aid firm who has recently had his salary cut to around £35k. Now that may seem like a lot, but consider the comparator in medicine of 6 years study then 15 years experience.  How much would a medic be on 15 years post qualification.

Ru can, I expect, provide more details.

But yes, the Government's attack on legal aid is an outrage to all right thinking people and at least now we might have someone in the tent pissing in on failing grayling.

Sloper

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5359 Re: Da News
April 17, 2014, 10:04:45 am
 :lol: Great photo.

Sloper

• forum hero
#5360 Re: Da News
April 17, 2014, 04:14:09 pm
:shrug: :oops:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/wutang-clandiscovered-rapper-andre-johnson-severed-his-penis-and-jumped-from-la-building-9265856.html

A cop mate of mine recently had to send someone down to the QMC to see a consultant urologist, his patient had arranged to meet somone on a website along the lines of eunuch.net and the person he met chopped off his c0ck and then cauterised the stump  :o :o :o :o leading to the inevitable urological problems. (obviously don't google this website at work or in reality at all)

No doubt there's some deeply rooted mental health issues as well.

drdeath

• player
#5361 Re: Da News
April 18, 2014, 02:50:50 pm

I know a partner in a criminal aid firm who has recently had his salary cut to around £35k. Now that may seem like a lot, but consider the comparator in medicine of 6 years study then 15 years experience.  How much would a medic be on 15 years post qualification.

Ru can, I expect, provide more details.

A Hospital Consultant aged 38 (i.e 15 yrs post-qualification) working full-time might earn around £85,000 a year for a contracted 9-5 working week.

D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5362 Re: Da News
April 18, 2014, 04:03:27 pm
Are you really only 38?

drdeath

• player
#5363 Re: Da News
April 18, 2014, 04:39:38 pm
My premature grey hair unfortunately ages me, but does provide me with a semblance of gravitas.

:no:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5364 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 12:33:45 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#5365 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 01:05:21 pm
:shrug: :oops:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/wutang-clandiscovered-rapper-andre-johnson-severed-his-penis-and-jumped-from-la-building-9265856.html

A cop mate of mine recently had to send someone down to the QMC to see a consultant urologist, his patient had arranged to meet somone on a website along the lines of eunuch.net and the person he met chopped off his c0ck and then cauterised the stump  :o :o :o :o leading to the inevitable urological problems. (obviously don't google this website at work or in reality at all)

No doubt there's some deeply rooted mental health issues as well.

I suspect things are not as deeply rooted now though :/

tomtom

• forum hero
#5366 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 01:08:10 pm
HAHAHAHHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/58473/gary-barlow-must-repay-millions-pounds-tax

Wanker.

Brilliant :) Though the downside is he may have to do more work, and we'll hear even more of his 'jump off a bridge inducing' voice on the TV. Probably every other advert will end  up being voiced by his drowsy tones. Actually - he could be the new face of Iceland. Ha, how I would laugh....

Does Bono's hat file a tax return?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5367 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 01:15:17 pm

Sometimes words are unnecessary.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5368 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 05:09:33 pm
Fuck thats scary. Cameron looks like he's just fisted an elephant and Barlow looks like he was watching and fucking enjoyed it...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5369 Da News
May 10, 2014, 06:50:54 pm
Fuck thats scary. Cameron looks like he's just fisted an elephant and Barlow looks like he was watching and fucking enjoyed it...

I rather thought it looked as though Barlow was fisting Cam-moron....

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#5370 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 07:04:05 pm
Thats the facial expressions of two people who can't quite believe what they are getting away with

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5371 Re: Da News
May 10, 2014, 07:58:29 pm
I cut my nails, are you sure you did?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#5372 Re: Da News
May 21, 2014, 07:52:16 pm
Not sure where to put this but I suppose the opening of the 9/11 memorial museum can be considered news, and this is really worth reading......

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevekandell/the-worst-day-of-my-life-is-now-new-yorks-hottest-tourist-at?s=mobile

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5374 Re: Da News
June 03, 2014, 09:23:18 am
25 years have passed, and this little man to me is still the baddest, toughest motherfucker of all time.
Hats off to you little beast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal