UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1516569 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6425 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 06:13:01 pm
I've been thinking about the Tory leadership election and I'm struggling to think of reasons why Boris might be at the top of the polls. Is there robust polling data of the Conservative membership that shows this is the case?

Putting aside that I would generally disagree with them on policy, my perception of Tory members is that they are probably: middle to pensionable age, white, comfortably off, probably have a background in business or one of the professions, pragmatic, politically engaged, eurosceptic but concerned about their pensions and investments, and socially conservative. They are, by definition, conservative. So why would they take a risk on Boris who plays up his bumbling oaf persona to give himself celebrity. Surely the membership I've described would elect Gove who comes across as altogether more serious and has a reputation within the party for being an intellectual force-to-be-reckoned-with. Or, if they're worried about Brexit, Raab who seems to be taking the hardest line on it?

Answers such as "OMG!!1 Toriez r evil innit" or "they're all thick as pig shit" are just simplistic comfort blankets and need not be posted.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6427 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 07:01:21 pm
The fact that Stewart, the only one not selling out and out lies, is seen by Tories as a bad leader says it all.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6428 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 07:34:59 pm
Actually watched an interview with some senior local branch types (one was something like “Chairman of the local associations committee” or similar) and frankly the three, retiree, white, males (on their way to a dinner with some of the candidates and expecting top table seats) were firmly in the “swivel eyed loon” camp. They all thought Boris was a top chap, one went into some rambling analogy about “picking the cricket club captain” based on his gusto, not his sensitivity to peoples feelings (in response to a question about Boris’ many racist gaffes).
(iirc, my eye rolling reached a distracting level half way through).
Then, I’ve mentioned before, I’ve worked for a few senior Tories and one “Grandee” and they were, completely, (if not quite evil) without empathy in any recognisable form.
(I know, I bang on about it, but I reeeaaallly want to get that point over. They don’t give a shit about you, me, the country, flag or the ‘Effing Queen, only their personal enrichment).

tomtom

• forum hero
#6429 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 07:47:23 pm
Average age of a conservative member in 2017 was 71.

This article illustrates that it is hard to establish the age - but puts it at present as between 65-75.

https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conservative-party-membership-2019

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#6430 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 08:10:22 pm
I think it's simply that Boris represents/is a symbol for the good old British Establishment".

That is what gives voters some sense of comfort - "leadership" is about passing down good old British standards, and recognising that they can't be challenged.

Conservatism and "leadership" for many simply means being too afraid of life to take a second look at it.

No one believes they're prejudiced, only justified, and they see in Boris, someone who is more likely to echo their views.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6431 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 08:15:03 pm
The ONLY reason Boris is going to get the blessing of Tory MP’s* is that they are fucking shit scared of Corbyn winning. They see Boris as the only candidate who can out Farage Farage and bring back those brexit party voters...

Yet just about remaining palatable enough to centrist Tory voters (when compared to corbyn).

*aside from the swivel headed f@&£ nuggets of the ERG.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#6432 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 08:31:11 pm

This article illustrates that it is hard to establish the age - but puts it at present as between 65-75.

https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conservative-party-membership-2019

I would be very wary of taking anything from a think tank at face value.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6433 Re: Da News
June 17, 2019, 08:32:52 pm

I would be very wary of taking anything from a think tank at face value.

Indeed - hence linking to the source rather than several news stories that used it...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#6434 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 12:28:58 am
So, speaking with a friend about this, he offered a suggestion that makes a lot of sense.
The biggest threat that party loyalists now see is the Brexit party which some think may get into a coalition at the next GE or even become the party of government or the official opposition. Boris' principle talent is that he connects with and is liked by people (maybe not you and me, but to Joe and Josephine Bloggs), thus he may be the person to out-Farage Farage himself and keep him out of number 10.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6435 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 06:42:08 am
So, speaking with a friend about this, he offered a suggestion that makes a lot of sense.
The biggest threat that party loyalists now see is the Brexit party which some think may get into a coalition at the next GE or even become the party of government or the official opposition. Boris' principle talent is that he connects with and is liked by people (maybe not you and me, but to Joe and Josephine Bloggs), thus he may be the person to out-Farage Farage himself and keep him out of number 10.

Ffs... there must be an echo in here...

The ONLY reason Boris is going to get the blessing of Tory MP’s* is that they are fucking shit scared of Corbyn winning. They see Boris as the only candidate who can out Farage Farage and bring back those brexit party voters...

Yet just about remaining palatable enough to centrist Tory voters (when compared to corbyn).

*aside from the swivel headed f@&£ nuggets of the ERG.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#6436 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 06:45:47 am
FFS!  :lol:
You'll have to take it as a compliment that I obviously read your post and liked it so much that I immediately forgot that you'd said it and adopted it as my own original thought.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6437 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 10:09:45 am
Nice comedy commentary in the Grauniad

Which is more than Jeremy Hunt has going for him. There’s even less to the foreign secretary than meets the eye. Now he was little more than Barbie’s friend Ken, still dressed in the BA airline cabin steward uniform with optional union jack lapel badge

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/17/more-silence-from-boris-after-rivals-plain-talking-hits-the-buffers

andy popp

• forum hero

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

andy popp

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
#6441 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 08:15:20 pm
Christ this Tory leaders debate is gruesome listening/watching.... Its like a brexit dick waving competition - and Rory. 

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6442 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 09:01:46 pm
I can’t believe you’re actually watching it, that’s some serious self flagellation!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6443 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 09:11:01 pm
Christ this Tory leaders debate is gruesome listening/watching.... Its like a brexit dick waving competition - and Rory.

Credit to Emily, she called Boris out

tomtom

• forum hero
#6444 Re: Da News
June 18, 2019, 09:31:44 pm
I can’t believe you’re actually watching it, that’s some serious self flagellation!

Like watching a really bad horror film. So bad I had to watch.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6446 Re: Da News
June 19, 2019, 11:41:59 am
Dynamite.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6447 Re: Da News
June 19, 2019, 07:13:53 pm
https://www.facebook.com/260212261199/posts/10156462772321200?sfns=mo

Farcebuck link, but not on Youtube yet.

Fair summary.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#6448 Re: Da News
June 21, 2019, 10:27:41 pm
BBC News - Boris Johnson: Police 'called to Tory leadership contender's home'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48721211

A passing story? Or the gaffe that sinks him? Not really the sort of thing you want to hear about the man who'll probably be in charge of the nukes is it?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6449 Re: Da News
June 21, 2019, 11:30:50 pm
The Guardian reckon they heard an audio recording of the fight/argument from the neighbor.. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal