UKBouldering.com

Don't forget to chew 20 times.... (Read 3071 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 09:40:50 am
Found this whilst working (skiving)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7681458.stm
Maybe it ought to go in the training section??
What cracked me up was the name of the researcher...   ;D
Is it April 1 already?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 10:19:46 am
What a load of  :wank:.  Doesn't even mention the biggest possible confounder, which would need to be accounted for....activity of the participants which is key in determining how the calories being shoveled into your trap are then used (burnt in exercise, or depositied as fat).  I can't believe people actually get funding to do such poor research its a fucking travesty.

"The old wives' tale about chewing everything 20 times might be true - if you did take a bit more time eating, it could have an impact."

Perhaps getting of your fat arse and doing some fucking exercise would have an even bigger impact.  :read: :rtfm: :spank:

Personally I generally eat larger portions than my wife and 9 times out of 10 will finish before her and am nowhere near being obese (by virtue of cycling to work and getting out climbing lots).

bob

• player
#2 Re: Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 11:11:47 am
i have noticed that the quicker i eat the more likely i am to get seconds and maybe even thirds before everybody else, possibly a factor in my current tubby satus. not sure chewing more would help that much but maybe using a smaller spoon might slow me down a bit?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 11:21:59 am
Personally I generally eat larger portions than my wife and 9 times out of 10 will finish before her and am nowhere near being obese (by virtue of cycling to work and getting out climbing lots).

What are you saying about your wife?

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 11:25:15 am
They always go on about stuff like this in diet magazines and stuff.  Chewing thoroughly, stop eating before you're full, drink water, don't drink water and a million other tips to stop you putting weight on.  It's all a load of crap, eat less, excercise more or you'll get a fat arse, them's the rules.

And seriously, have you tried to chew most stuff 20 times?  You'd be dribbling trying to keep it in your mouth and not swallow by that time.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 11:58:01 am

What are you saying about your wife?

She's a slow eater and believes the crap in the magazines/diet books/other bullshit that eating less whilst not exercising will help her keep her weight down (which it doesn't).  I've tried explaining the basic calories in/calories out principle to her, but its like  :wall:

jern

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Don't forget to chew 20 times....
October 22, 2008, 12:02:51 pm
Some good clarificatioon here:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal